Names Searched Right Now:
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    Mine is Briony/Bryony. I always thought it was bree-oh-knee and I believe is Brian-ee. Sigh.

And Love Actually is currently in the DVD player. Hehehe. Makes me wish I was British!
    Ah I thought it was bree-oh-knee too! Learn something new everyday eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kellbell23 View Post
    [ When she said her name, it still sounded like LEE-na. Maybe a someone who speaks German can shed some light?
    I listened to it on Forvo a few times. Sounds like 'lay-na' to me. There's just a very slight note of 'ee' attached to the 'ay' sound that I can't figure out how to describe phonetically.

Also yes. Love Actually is so marvellous and so wonderfully 'us'
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I really liked Blythe but thought it was blith (short I sound) instead of bl-eye-the.
    Lily - Eliza - Isabelle - Rose - Margaret - Coraline - Emilia - Hazel
    Oliver - Simon - Jasper - Theodore - Henry - Leopold - Ezra - Jack

Quote Originally Posted by heytherepigeon View Post
    ...and thus, Amanda learned that she had been pronouncing Cassia wrong. Hmph. I like it better as CASS-ee-uh!

Anyway, I absolutely fell in love with the name Marlene, but I pronounced it as mar-LEEN. I posted a thread about it to share my love, only to get multiple replies from people telling me it was actually something like mar-LAY-nuh. Aha. I was so disappointed! Personally, I think I could get away with the mar-LEEN pronunciation...but I'm not sure!
    I'm way late, but I have a friend in her mid twenties who pronounces it mar-LEEN. I think both are accepted.
    Mommy to one amazing Allegra Valentine, born May 2014.

Current name crushes: Daphne, Allegra, Rosalie, Minerva, Alistair, Jules, Ellington, Caspar

I have only known Marlene pronounced Mar-LEEN. I have heard of Marlene as Mar-LAY-na (and would always say that for Marlena), but my go-to pronunciation of Marlene has always been like Arlene, Darlene, etc. I too think both are accepted, at least in North America.