Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Ever fall in love with a name, only to find out you're pronouncing it wrong?

I always thought the name Cassia was pronounced Kass-ee-uh and I fell in love with. Then I found out that it is pronounced Kash-uh and I was soooo disappointed!

Please share your stories!

When I first read Anne of Green Gables I thought Cordelia was pronounced cor-dell-ee-ah, but my school librarian corrected me. It took me awhile to get used to the real pronounciation but now I love it! I still pronounce Azalea az-uh-lay-ah, like my sister's friend does (that's where I first heard the name) though I've since been told it's uh-zay-lee-ah. I do like that pronounciation, just not as much- maybe because I'm not used to it?
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

The only Cassia I know pronounces her name Cass-see-ah????? I didn't know it could be said another way haha, I know Acacia is pronounced close to what you are saying, like Ah-kash-ah or something very similar, I always thought it was said differently also.

Rough n Tumble
    Lachlan Alexander
    Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Pretty in Pink
    Lavender Irie
    Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Quote Originally Posted by kibby View Post
    The only Cassia I know pronounces her name Cass-see-ah????? I didn't know it could be said another way haha, I know Acacia is pronounced close to what you are saying, like Ah-kash-ah or something very similar, I always thought it was said differently also.
    I haven't read the whole thread, sorry if it's been mentioned. Acacia is uh-kay-shuh. There is a fraternity with that name and I know someone named Cacia, pronounced like Acacia without the A at the beginning.

The name I thought of for this is Carys. I thought it was pronounced cuh-REESE and I loved it. Then I found out it was care-iss. Not as pretty IMO :-(
    Top 10 girl's names: Serena * Audrey * Sienna * Bridget * Lucy * Hazel * Cordelia * Josephine * Claire * Alice
    Top 10 boy's names: Elliott * Callum * Theodore * Emmett * Nolan * Ian * Blake * Brennan * Adrian * Everett

Quote Originally Posted by jennipea382 View Post
    The name I thought of for this is Carys. I thought it was pronounced cuh-REESE and I loved it. Then I found out it was care-iss. Not as pretty IMO :-(
    That's wrong too. 'kah-riss'. 'Kah' like at the start of 'cat'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.