Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    You can pronounced Lucia as Loo-SEE-ah. That's how we do it in Scandinavia - so just say you gave it a Scandinavian twist!!

It's uh-sheen in Irish and spelling is Oisín.

Esther! I went the longest time thinking the th was pronounced like th in thimble instead of the hard th in thyme. I was so disappointed when I found it was ess-ter instead of ess-ther!
    Audrey Cecilia - Jude Alexander - Christian Nathaniel - Violet Annabelle - Felicity Charlotte - and introducing Isaac Benjamin

My babies!

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear25 View Post
    Esther! I went the longest time thinking the th was pronounced like th in thimble instead of the hard th in thyme. I was so disappointed when I found it was ess-ter instead of ess-ther!
    I thought I was the only one who had that problem! I was talking to my mom about names, and I brought Esther. She didn't even recognize the name, and when I told her that it was the Biblical character, she cracked up and corrected me. I was like: No way! Es-ther is so pretty!

I mispronounce names all the time. I like Lucia, but many in America pronounce Lucia Loo-sha instead of my favorite Lou-see-uh. I also fell in love with Marcia prn Mar-see-uh. I was so disappointed when I found it was Marsha. Then there was also Catriona, which I thought was Cat-ree-own-uh. I also read Alicia has Uh-liss-eah, which was kind of weird considering I had a childhood friend named Alicia prn Uh-leesh-uh.

This doesn't have to do with pronunciation but more about gender. When I first heard the name Ezra, I thought it was a girl's name through and through. Then, a few years later I called the Biblical Ezra a 'she' in Sunday school and much to my dismay it was a boys' name. I am normally all against boys' names on girls, but I honestly never imagined Ezra as a boy.
    Last edited by aurra; January 25th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I really like Scottish names and for a short while had Llewelyn on my list.... until I learned how difficult it was for me to say.... nearly impossible! Not "lou-wellen" but starting with a breathy h sort of sound. Kind of! :-)