Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Then, there's Yves, which I always pronounced like Ives, when it's actually pronounced Eve.

Finally Carys, which I don't exactly know how to pronounce but I always assumed it was like Care-is, but apparently it's Car-is
    “She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”
    - J.D. Salinger

Anais.... At first I thought it was pronounced like uh NYE iss.... but's it's an nah EES. Still pretty, though.

I knew from the get go I was pronouncing it incorrectly, but I'd love the name Tamar, if it were pronounced Tam-er instead of like Tamara without the A. Though I don't find the correct pronunciation to be unattractive.

Funny -- I read books with characters named Anais and Catriona and the whole time I was pronouncing them "uh-NAY-iss" and "KA-tree-OH-na" both of which I loved. Are those not correct?!?!

I also love the name Aurelia, and depending on my mood, sometimes I pronounce it "aw-RELL-ee-yah" and sometimes I pronounce it "aw-REEL-yah" With the second prn, there's sort of a very fast and quiet "ee" before the last syllable, but I think both of these pronunciations are totally valid.

And, although I have NEVER liked it in the least, I still don't understand how to pronounce Nevaeh. People have tried to explain it to me, but my mind just blanks and reads over it every time I see it. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by marykathryn View Post
    Finally Carys, which I don't exactly know how to pronounce but I always assumed it was like Care-is, but apparently it's Car-is
    It's more like 'kah-riss'. The 'kah' sound being at the start of 'cat'.

Quote Originally Posted by catheyc View Post
    Funny -- I read books with characters named Anais and Catriona and the whole time I was pronouncing them "uh-NAY-iss" and "KA-tree-OH-na" both of which I loved. Are those not correct?!?!
    Nope.

Anais = ah-nah-EES(ending rhymes with niece)

Catriona = ka-TREE-na
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.