Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Then, there's Yves, which I always pronounced like Ives, when it's actually pronounced Eve.

Finally Carys, which I don't exactly know how to pronounce but I always assumed it was like Care-is, but apparently it's Car-is
    WOULD YOU NAME YOUR CHILD THIS: VOTE HERE

Anais.... At first I thought it was pronounced like uh NYE iss.... but's it's an nah EES. Still pretty, though.

I knew from the get go I was pronouncing it incorrectly, but I'd love the name Tamar, if it were pronounced Tam-er instead of like Tamara without the A. Though I don't find the correct pronunciation to be unattractive.

Funny -- I read books with characters named Anais and Catriona and the whole time I was pronouncing them "uh-NAY-iss" and "KA-tree-OH-na" both of which I loved. Are those not correct?!?!

I also love the name Aurelia, and depending on my mood, sometimes I pronounce it "aw-RELL-ee-yah" and sometimes I pronounce it "aw-REEL-yah" With the second prn, there's sort of a very fast and quiet "ee" before the last syllable, but I think both of these pronunciations are totally valid.

And, although I have NEVER liked it in the least, I still don't understand how to pronounce Nevaeh. People have tried to explain it to me, but my mind just blanks and reads over it every time I see it. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by marykathryn View Post
    Finally Carys, which I don't exactly know how to pronounce but I always assumed it was like Care-is, but apparently it's Car-is
    It's more like 'kah-riss'. The 'kah' sound being at the start of 'cat'.

Quote Originally Posted by catheyc View Post
    Funny -- I read books with characters named Anais and Catriona and the whole time I was pronouncing them "uh-NAY-iss" and "KA-tree-OH-na" both of which I loved. Are those not correct?!?!
    Nope.

Anais = ah-nah-EES(ending rhymes with niece)

Catriona = ka-TREE-na
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!