Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do names HAVE to sound pleasant?

Hi everyone, I've been on Nameberry for a while but I am just beginning to post lol. I am not expecting or anything but I would like your opinions on a question...

After centuries of people living perfectly normal lives with harsh or unpleasant-sounding names (Hortense anyone? or Eugene?), why all of a sudden are people so obsessed with soft or happy sounding names? There's nothing at all wrong with them of course, we all want our children to have a good name, but what is wrong with the names that are harsher? Does it hurt the way someone is viewed?

Ultimately, I'm not sure it matters but I am curious as to what others think!
    Last edited by purpleprimrose; January 22nd, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
    “We meet no ordinary people in our lives.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

I'm not sure if people are more concerned with how names sound now, or if sound preferences have changed, does that make sense? Back when say Hortense or Eugene (using your examples) were popular people maybe felt like names such as Chloe or Logan had ugly sounds. I think it's an evolution in how people hear sounds, and what people think sound attractive, kind of like how clothing style has changed over the years

PS I kind of think Eugene is cute, but I would never admit it or name my child it
    Gracie ~ Teen Berry ~ Not Expecting, Just Planning

I'm sure those names were considered wonderful when they were used, despite sounding "ugly" now. I don't think anyone ever intentionally gave their child an awful name, I agree that it's likely just due to the times and tastes changing, in the same way that many of us now dislike names we once loved and love names we once hated!

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

I agree with pp that it's probably a matter of evolving tastes. You'd likely find a difference in opinions across cultures today as to what names or sounds are pleasant and which aren't as well. Also, for some people at least, I'd think that the sounds they'd want to use on a girl and a boy would be different, like "pretty" sounding names for girls, but "strong" or "bold" sounding names for boys, for instance.

Yes! We might think a name sounds ugly, but would it ever have been used as a name in the first place if its original impression had been ugly?