Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling

@alfiejoe in my opinion, preschool is extremely important, but I wouldn't refer to it as 'school.'
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

I would like to homeschool my future children. I went to a small Christian academy from kindergarten to twelfth grade, which was basically corporate homechooling with most of the grades in one room. There were some MAJOR problems with the system, but now, looking back, I realize just how good I had it compared to friends who went through the local public school systems. In the end, the good outweighs the bad in the experience I had, and although I may not be able to afford private school for my own children down the road, I do want to give them a lot of the benefits that my schooling gave me, and I would be able to do so through homeshcooling. My two major reasons for wanting to homeschool are:

1. Morality. Our postmodern society has rejected the idea of morality and teaches children that there is no right and wrong. I do not want my children taught that nonsense. I also intend to raise my children to be respectful and compassionate, quite unlike many of the children I see in my area today who are rude, entitled, mouthy, and selfish. I do not want my children to pick up habits like that from peers. Yes, my children need the opportunity to socialize and build relationships with children their age, and I have plenty of venues that will provide just that, but the idea of sending them for 6+ hours a day to be surrounded by influences that could harm their character concerns me.

2. Education. The school districts in my area are horrible and hold the students to a VERY low standard. Children's minds are capable of SO much more than those schools seem to realize. Children only a century ago were leaps and bounds ahead of children today in terms of reading ability, vocabulary, spelling, etc. I just want more for my kids than a public school education can provide. Catholic schools in my area provide a fantastic education, but the cost would be a major obstacle for us, and I'm not sure how I feel about forcing my children to be indoctrinated with a faith I don't follow (though it could serve as a conversation topic in our home). My preferred education options would be either a private Christian school (Protestant), or homeschooling.

I was homeschooled a good portion of my life. I also attended public, private and Montessori schools. I can honestly say I learned more at home than I did in both private and public schools combined. Public school was a waste of time. Montessori is an excellent way to get the best of both worlds. I plan on finding a great Montessori school for my daughter, only because I'm not sure I could do the amazing teaching job my mother did. Hope this helps!

I want to contribute constructively to the thread. I would never in a million years homeschool. Firstly, I respect teaching as a profession and don't think it's something a layperson can do to the same standard as someone trained. Instructional methods, curricula, lesson planning, behavioral challenges, etc-- I don't have the training and frankly don't with to spend a couple of years in teaching colleges to pick it all up.

Secondly I quite like working outside the home and would never want to sacrifice that just to provide a poor simulacrum of private education for my son.

Lastly, even though I know I frankly have more knowledge, and have taken much higher level coursework, in math, science and foreign languages than any high school teacher in the country, I am still one human being and could never begin to replicate the resources, talents and abilities a full staff has. What if he wants to take Mandarin, or AP Computer Science?

I was privately educated until university and absolutely plan on doing the same for Antoine. Hell, his daycare already costs an arm and a leg after tax, so we're basically already paying private school tuition.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Public school is factory-processed education. Homeschooling is tailor-made.

In public school you get one teacher to 18-30 students. One teacher who has to follow teaching rules and curriculums given to them by government. Being homeschooled means you get one teacher's undivided attention. And that teacher cares because he or she is your parent. I really don't think anyone who hasn't experienced each style of education should feel entitled to discourage one or the other.