Names Searched Right Now:
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling

Very interesting topic. I haven't had a chance to read all of the responses yet (I'll go back and do that) but I'd just like to throw my $0.02 cents into the ring.

Even before I got pregnant, I was convinced that I was going to do homeschooling (or rather, custom schooling as homeschooling is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to what I plan on doing).

While I'm not saying that I am in a superior position to school my child over anyone else, I am definitely blessed with some advantages. My mother, who will be semi-retired by the time my child is school age, is a college professor and holds a PhD in Education and Communication in addition to 2 Masters Degrees. Although she's worked in the Post-Secondary and University system for about 20 years, she was originally a school teacher in both private and public schools. To this day, she says that had she had the opportunity or financial situation to stay at home and homeschool me, she would have. She had issues with the system then, and she has issues with the system now. However, she is eager to take an active role in the education of her grandchildren.

I also hold a degree in teaching as well as an MBA. Between my mother and myself, I personally believe that we are more than qualified to give my upcoming child and future children a superior level of education. Thankfully, I'm in a marriage where my husband views himself as the breadwinner, so he's more than content to allow me to stay at home and raise our children however I see fit.

As for socialization, and the 'custom schooling' element I before mentioned- I have that covered as well. I am fortunate enough to have a 'Home School Academy' a short 15 minutes away. The school is predominantly a Creative Arts school and has over 700 students and is well established in our area. Children doing the Core Program (Pre School - Grade 12) attend a minimum of 2 Days a week, with the addition of an Enrichment day (which includes electives such as Dance, Drama, Music, etc). They use a set curriculum for the Core Program, but class sizes are kept small, and teachers are in more of a supervisory and support capacity than anything. Subsequently, the curriculum goes at the speed of the individual child, and not the speed of the class. This is also made possible by the fact that the majority of the curriculum is to be studied at home. The days they are in class, are predominantly there to fill in any gaps in knowledge and to promote socialization.

Although I obviously don't have first hand experience with the program yet, I can't say how successful it really is. However, from the research I have done and the people I have talked to, I hear nothing but good things about it.

My husband and I both went through Private school systems, and neither of us were happy with the education we received. It just wasn't a fit for us. I look forward to a curriculum which I can tailor to suit our children, rather than tailoring our children to suit the curriculum.

With that said however, I think each family should do what is best for them.
    Baby #1 Due July 3, 2013

It's a BOY: Jon Clifford Langhorne L--

I haven't time to read all the replies, but I would like to add a little of my experience on this topic. My husband was military for 23 years, and we have lived in several countries around the world. We have ten children. My oldest daughter is 19, and graduated last May through a public High School. Through the years, I have studied each of our educational options throughly and thought of the indivdual need of each child. When possible, while living overseas, my children attended private christian schools. Throughout the years, I have homeschooled based, again on what I deemed the need of a particular child. For exsample, we moved back to the states the year my oldest entered sixth grade. I enrolled her in a public junior highschool and she loathed it. I decided to homeschool her that year, and it was a hugely successful year for her. She went back to the junior high the following year, and did very well. Because we have a large family I am asked all teh time if we homeschool. It seems homeschooling is now the new "fashion". I think homeschooling can be a wonderful option, but I think much has to be taken into consideration.

Over the years, I have had to be honest with myself and my limitations. Two of my children, my 16 yo son and my almost 14 yo daughter are extremely bright. My 16 yo son has a 4.0 gpa and takes college courses "on the side"... I do not say this to brag, but I say this, only to illustrate, that I honestly would not be able to effectively homeschool him he is above my level in several subjects, he is learning Japanese. One of my 5 yo son's whom we adopted in Kenya has pretty severe learning disabilities. He goes to a school where he can recieve therapy. I am not trained in these things. These are wonderful things, but things that would be difficult for me. Also, it would not be easy with all the other small children at home.

All that to say, if I felt God really was leading me for a serious reason to homeschool my children, I would. I have not felt that... though through the years I have struggled to wether or not I was making the right decision. Then I have to take a step back and remember that there is no "can" answer for families, each one is different, just as each child is different.

As for morality. This must be taught at home and from an early age. I support our local public school system, but I am not a fan of preschool. I keep them home with me as long as possible Right now, my other five year old who had a late birthday is homeschooling with me He will start kindergarten in the fall... when we believe he will be ready.
    Last edited by joyfulmomto8; February 4th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
    ~ "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."~ Mother Teresa

@glamatomic, you might be on to something with the term "custom schooling."
    @blade, if part of your problem with the term "homeschooling" is the label itself--that you see it as mostly the "one parent is the teacher, sitting-around-the-kitchen-table, the-Bible-is-our-textbook" education model mentioned by augusta_lee, and that you think anyone arguing for something more that is still neither private school nor public school is really not arguing for "homeschooling" at all--would changing the label of that "something more" help?
    I still think we're all in agreement that parents have the right to choose how their children will be educated, and I still think you're in full support of the government-school model, but could it be that part of the problem here is that different posters have different definitions of "homeschooling"?
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

Our twin boys started out being home-schooled for two days and week but it did't work out for us and then we have another baby and it was a bit difficult. We then decide to just send them to main stream primary school for the five days a week. I am able to home-school because I was a teacher for two and a half years after my boys' were born.

4 Reasons you don't need to be a teacher to homeschool
    http://homeschooling.penelopetrunk.c...meschooling%29
    My personal name list on behindthename: http://www.behindthename.com/pnl/89873/89696.
    My List of Name Combos: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9745611
    Please vote.