Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    Okay so I honestly didn't read EVERYTHING but I want to add my 2 cents.

First off, it seems there's a lot of throwing around homeschooling where the parents are the teachers. But all the people I know that have been homeschooled have either a) used a computer/online program or b) attended a small "homeschool" class that consisted of 1 or 2 teachers and less than 15 students. So just want to clear up that homeschooling isn't always the parent teaching.

Second, I noticed a lot of focus seems to be on the value of education. However, in my opinion, I'd be more concerned with social skills and being able to adapt to different environments. I went to a public school and though I hated it. I was picked on/bullied, but at the same time I formed friendships. Now if you homeschool using method B as I mentioned above, your child will likely form friendships in that small group, but otherwise being homeschooled pretty much means you only have your siblings as friends. It's not the same. Many children who are homeschooled end up being introverts because they are unable to socialize. School I feel is important for that reason, not only do you get structured education, but you meet other people who aren't in your family. You learn that everyone is different. Being bullied makes you stronger. Making friends teaches compassion and love for someone else who isn't tied to you by blood. Changing classes, going to middle school, high school, teaches a child how to adapt to new places, settings, and situations.

All in all I'm for schools and plan on sending my children to them. I don't think homeschooling is bad, but it makes it a lot harder on the child to develop social skills. Also with homeschooling, you miss out on a lot of fun opportunities, like shop class, cooking, band, sports, prom/dances or foreign languages.
    Honestly, you couldn't be more wrong. There are so many homeschool groups kids can join, all over the country. There's a homeschool band, at least 10 homeschool co-ops that meet once a week, two of which I'm going to, where I'm learning Spanish and Latin, which are foreign languages. And that's just within a 30-mile radius of my house. There's also a few homeschool proms here. And since when do you have to go to public school to learn how to cook and play sports? Why can't your parents teach you that? Mine did. And I was on a soccer team when I was 8. All this garbage about how homeschoolers are unsocialized freaks makes me so angry. And people who believe those stereotypes, like you, make me even angrier. Oh, did I mention that I have a lot of friends?
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.

I really like the point that someone made about bad teachers teaching good lessons- I think it is valuable for students (esp high school level) to see that not everyone is passionate about their chosen field of work & not wholeheartedly interested in them & benefiting them.

I had great teachers & awful teachers. I think it kind of showed me the value of pursuing a career that I am really interested in. It also taught me that not everyone out there will have my back.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    I really like the point that someone made about bad teachers teaching good lessons- I think it is valuable for students (esp high school level) to see that not everyone is passionate about their chosen field of work & not wholeheartedly interested in them & benefiting them.

I had great teachers & awful teachers. I think it kind of showed me the value of pursuing a career that I am really interested in. It also taught me that not everyone out there will have my back.
    Exactly this. And it teaches children to deal with people that don't agree with them, have different beliefs than them, and don't get along with them. People that have such strongly different views than them, that sometimes they are sheltered from in a homeschooled setting.
    The Future Littles:
    Delaney Lynne, Mallory June, Bridget Victoria, Rachel MarloweBrandon Erich, Daniel Kent, Nolan ____

@MGE28
    I am very glad that homeschooling has been such a great experience for you! I think that homeschooling can be the right choice, it varies by child personality. It is also nice to know of a 13 year old with wonderful skills that will benefit you your entire life!

I am a public school teacher and still see the value in homeschooling, as a student, I would have disliked being homeschooled, but that's just me. In any situation, whether it's homeschooling, private, or public schooling student's get out of education what they put into it. Teachers, parents, etc. can offer multiple opportunities for students to learn, however, the student has to choose to learn. Students can choose to learn regardless of whether they are in public school, private school, or if they are homeschooled.
    Last edited by jtucker; January 23rd, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

@mge28 I'm sorry if I offended you, but I said many, not all. There are exceptions. I'm glad you had those opportunities, but are LOTS of other places that don't offer those opportunities for homeschoolers. If you are in a big city, yes, but in small towns no. (I've lived in a rural area in the south, and a smaller city in the midwest, I'm now living in a big city)

I didn't say you had to go to public school, but public schools offer those classes for free. Some parents don't play sports and thus can't teach them. Sports outside of school is expensive. My sister was on the YMCA swim team, she had give up piano lessons because my parents couldn't pay for both. I chose to stick with piano lessons. Later she quit the YMCA and went on the high school swim team because it was a lot cheaper. I have a friend who is homeschooled and she never got the opportunity to learn a foreign language, but she lived in the country/rural areas. I also had a cousin who decided to go to public school after being homeschooled so she could learn a foreign language in order to get into college.

Being homeschooled where I lived while growing up would just be too expensive in order to give my kids all those opportunities. I'm in a bigger city now and I'm sure it's doable/less expensive, but I still want my children to go to a public school, I plan on sending them to a Chinese immersion school so they can have the benefit of being bilingual.

Not all the same opportunities are present to everyone. Not everyone gets option B (homeschool group), which I mentioned above. That those that are in homeschool groups will learn social skills. I think you misunderstood about my point of socializing, I was talking about those in option A (computer/internet) where they don't get out of the house.

In the end you just have to do what works for you. I had another cousin who quit public school to be homeschooled because of stress, she later went back to public school because she missed her friends (she did a computer program). I just think it's harder for homeschooled children to make friends if they don't have the opportunities you did where they can hang out with other homeschoolers, which where I lived up until now those opportunities weren't available.
    Last edited by catloverd; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables