Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling

Homeschooling

What are your opinions? Do you do it? Would you? If not, why not?

I currently homeschool my six school-age children but went through the state school system myself. I'm considering putting them back into public school because of some things I've heard from other moms in my community. Would love to know your thoughts on the subject and perhaps answer any questions you might have. Feel free to share your own stories too!

Looking forward to reading your replies,
    Jazzyfish
    Mommy to six dashing boys and one beautiful girl!
    Matvei Sasha (Matty)
    Jude Nathan
    Cassian Markus (Cass) and Kristof Jonah (Kit)
    Willow Anja
    Roman Nikolas (Ro)
    Liev Conrad

My daughter is only one, but I'm at home with her now.

I see the pros & cons of both.

I think I want to do public school so that I don't instill a feeling of "otherness" in my child & so their education isn't limited by my own abilities.
    Also- I think our own children know how to manipulate us. I don't mean they are conniving but rather they must manipulate us into meeting their needs. They understand us. I think it's good for them to learn other personalities & have many kinds of teachers. I also think a wider diversity of peers are in the public school system.

That said, I feel the public school system is a mess. I feel personally failed by the Blue Ribbon Gold Star winning one that I attended. I don't want to get into a whole rant but I believe most institutions are as concerned with their own PR as they are actually educating anyone. I don't know if I want to put my daughter through that.

I notice your children's names & wonder if you're raising them bilingual Russian as I am with my daughter.

I am curious how your children (aged 9, 8, 6, 6, 5, 3 and 1 month according to your posts) could possibly receive a solid, comprehensive primary school education while you are caring for a newborn? And why the 3-year old is being schooled at all?
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

I'm a licensed teacher currently teaching at a pre-school/daycare. I think it's great if there is a big home school support system where the kids do still interact with others not just siblings and their parents. That being said even in collage I could pick out the home scholl kids because of how they interacted and reacted to things teachers did and said. Since many home schoolers are educated religiously and not only academically.

@blade I teach 11 kids daily two of which are 3 the other nine are 4 or 5. 3 year olds are very capable of learning just as well as "school age" They recognize almost all letters upper and lower, letter sounds, shapes, colors, numbers 1-20. They can spell their names, cut and glue on their own. We are now working on sight words. My three year olds also are making patterns, sequencing events and working on comprehension during stories. So no reason why she shouldn't be schooling a 3 in fact it's better if you do they absorb so much and really understand more than you would think.
    One of mine actually came in one day and explained the water cycle to me! It was so funny I wasn't expecting it and I understood clearly what she was saying.
    I'm Alix Louise
    Wife to Skyler James since 4/28/12
    Mommy to Daphne Valora since 8/02/13

When we have another
    Boy : Sebastian, Jasper, Edgar
    Girls: Sonia, Matilda

I'm not even sure homeschooling is an option in England, but no way would I ever do it. I could teach them about art and history and literature, dancing/PE, but there's no way I would let my children's education rest upon my skills. There's a reason why there are teachers. I also think it's a good thing for kids to get out of the house, meet and get used to other children and grown ups. And I know I don't have a baby yet (two more months!) but I think I'll be excited the day I can start sending my child to nursery and school. Having some quiet alone time seems pretty essential to me.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]