Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Classic Gaelic Names (Mairéad, Líadan, Eilidh, etc)

We have a 2.5 year old named Mairéad Líadan and we would prefer if all of our children were traditional Irish or Scottish Gaelic names. We have had our hearts set on "Eilidh" since we named our first daughter for the next girl, but it maybe we had the pronunciation wrong.

We like it "Eye-Lee" not "Ay-Lee". I've been scouring the internet for the appropriate Gaelic letter combination to make it sound like we like it to. I think "Aillidh" is it (since AI in front of double "L" makes the sound that the letter "Y" makes in the English word "Sky"). But I can't find Aillidh pronounced online anywhere!

I *have* seen Eilidh pronounced like we prefer online, but I just want to be certain we aren't butchering the classic name. And no, we don't want to Americanize the name, we want it to be truly Scottish.

On a side note, we also need boys name ideas (we don't know what we are having yet) and we like old or obscure Gaelic names. Thank you for reading all this and posting!

Lovely name choices!
    But I do believe it's pronounced Ay-lee, sorry.
    Good luck
    Please vote on my names list http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831892

Current favs:
    Mary Wildflower, Fae, Edith (Edie), Ida, Beatrix, Jean, Winifred (Winnie), Phaedra, Thisbe, Sylvie, Cordelia, Magnolia, Catherine, Mimosa

Arto, Lawson, William, Rupert, Albert, Makepeace, Wetherell

Rabbits Eleanore Saffron Nightingale & Gethin Abraham Jubilee(Bob/Bobby), Lizard Ute (German Ooteh), Guinea pigs Marmaduke Hubbard & Algernon (LG)

Oh I love Irish names too, especially Mairéad!

If this helps, my mother's name was Eilish and she was from Co Armagh, she and her siblings said 'Ay-lish' but many people from other parts of Ireland, such as my aunt from Kerry, say ' Ee-lish'; my point is that there are very different accents and pronunciations within Ireland and as much local variety as between say Mississippi and New York so I think it is quite possible for both to be 'right', you could try your local Irish club for further suggestions but I it is possible that both versions you have read are authentic...in different parts of Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by norbury View Post
    but I it is possible that both versions you have read are authentic...in different parts of Ireland.
    Eilidh is Scottish though. I've only heard it as 'ay-lee'.

Wikipedia suggests that this: ài, is the combination of letters that makes the 'eye' sound which suggests that Àilidh (with accent) is the list of sounds you're after. However, this isn't a real name. So if you want something genuinely Gaelic I'd go with Eilidh.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I love the prn Eye-lee, but Eilidh is ay-lee (I use the spelling Ailey or Isley for Eye-lee). Of course, in America, it wouldn't really matter much, since no one will be able to pronounce it on their first try anyways (except name nerds and those who are Scottish).
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~