Names Searched Right Now:

What is my style?

I need help! We're expecting our second. We do not know if it is a boy or girl, so I plan on posting a similar thread under the girls forum. Our first is named Sullivan Patrick and I love it! We have a very Italian last name which starts with 'L' and ends in 'O'. I love the letters 'L', and am fond of 'V' and 'S'. I have no idea what my style is. A name I also love, but is unusable due to the 'O' ending, is Crusoe. All the names I see/find just seem so used but I also want a recognized name. I'm tired of hearing Owen, Noah, Henry, Aiden, Oliver, Matthias. It seems I'm uninterested in all names! I'm looking for any advice. Oh, and the middle name will be William. Here are names on my current list:
    Yorke
    Tennessee
    Briar ( I like this for a boy - is that wrong?)
    Bronx (my husband likes, I'm not a huge fan)
    Xavier
    Maxim
    Crispin (I like but don't know if I'd use)
    Keats
    Twain
    Pfeiffer
    Bjorn
    Taliesin (this is growing on me)
    Lane
    Columbus
    Bowen
    Sawyer
    Scout
    Jack (really like, but way too popular!)
    Davis (really like but am I really going to have a son who will be called Dave when he's older?)
    Bronwen

Realistically there are names on this list that I probably wouldn't use, but do like somewhat...

Thanks so much for the help!

I forgot to mention that I also like Grayson and Charles (Charlie) but both are unusable.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

You like surnames-- including some non-Anglo-Saxon ones, which is unusual, as well as 'exotic flair' names.

As your last name is long and Italianate, and your first son got a recognizable Irish name, I would avoid dramatic mismatches like Bjorn or Pfeiffer. Also, Bronwen is an exclusively female name.

I think some of the very, very obvious homage names can-- if you'll forgive me-- come off as a bit hokey and try-hard. I would strike Twain, Keats, Tennessee, Scout, Columbus and Taliesin from your list.

Bronx is a celebrity baby name, and a very uninspiring place name.

That leaves:

Yorke: doesn't flow well with William, and New York rather dominates (even with an E)
    Briar: a thorny weed, which is mysteriously mainly given to girls due to the Disney princess
    Xavier: a handsome and distinguished choice with a lot of flair
    Maxim: might suggest Maxence to avoid the men's mag comparison; Maximo won't work with your surname
    Crispin: just the right side of quirky-cool
    Lane: gaining traction after a character on Mad Men bore this name; simple and unpretentious, yet refined
    Bowen: rollicking and fun
    Sawyer: so, so, so, so over-done
    Jack (really like, but way too popular!): agree with you
    Davis: cool and *exactly* matches the vibe of your first son's name; can be an homage name if you like
    Grayson: fits well with Sullivan, but quite trendy
    Charles: unobjectionable, but might not shine when paired with William next to Sullivan

My ranking:

Davis
    Bowen
    Xavier
    Lane
    Maxence / Maxim
    Crispin
    Grayson
    Charles

would not use others
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

blade thank you so much for your feedback - it made me see some of my choices in a new light. It's interesting that you rated 'Davis' as your fav from my list. This name has been on my list for quite some time (before I was pregnant). Thanks again!
    Does anybody have any other comments or suggestions?