Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Alexander does stick out for its length and number of syllables when paired with the shorter sibling names. My question for you would be this: Being used to calling your boys with short, simple names, will it feel weird (or just too much trouble) to say Alexander over and over each day? Or vice versa: If Alexander were your first child, would Jack or Mark feel too brief? For me, the simple solution would be to name your son Alexander but call him Alex. Alexander will get plenty of use on official paperwork and in formal settings, but you'll also get the friendly, simple nn for everyday use.

P.S. I've been wondering the same thing! I've got a Catherine nn. Kate, and I only like short, 1-2 syllable boys' names, but if I were to have another girl, most of the names I like are 3-4 syllables and I wouldn't plan on using any nns for those. Some thoughts from my own ponderings: 1. When creating a sibset, if your children's given names are different in length/style from the names you'll call them every day and by which they will most likely be known to friends and family, match the everyday names over the formal ones. (So, if you plan to call Alexander Alex, your sibset is perfect.) 2. It's more important that names in a sibset are stylistically the same than that they share the same length. (Again, your set is great.) 3. Order is important. A great way to incorporate long and short names in a sibset is to have a bridge name (syllable wise, if not also length-wise). So, in your case, (Alexander, Evan, Jack/Mark), or (Jack/Mark, Evan, Alexander) would go 3, 2, 1 syllables or 1, 2, 3 syllables with Evan as a bridge, making the transition between Alexander and Jack/Mark less abrupt.

I think it's more important for the names to 'go' stylistically. I agree with @jroflo that the everyday nn's you use would be better to match because that would be what you would call them, and it would sound a bit off to me if I heard a mother shouting "Jack! Mark! Alexander!" - whereas "Jack! Mark! Alex!" seems to fit a little more comfortably, at least in my view. However, it would bug me if I had, say, boys named Asa, Leo and Sebastian, because even though I think those names would go together stylistically, they just don't balance right. It depends what's more important to you - I'm a little weird in that I feel siblings' names should be the same length, but I also think that how well the names work as a group is the more obvious thing to most people.
    Livia, sixteen.

Top Names:

Tobias Rowan | August Dmitri | Finnian Beck
    Saskia Maeve | Bryony Lilibet | Aurelia Salome

Namelist

Yeah, the length would bother me a bit.

It's a dilemma I have with my names!
    Alessandra and Nathaniel are my number ones, but when you get into the boys names, the letters shrink!
    Henry, Eden, Leo are my next 3 names after Nathaniel! After Nathaniel, Jensen's the longest name on my list. And those don't match stylistically.

Nathaniel would likely go by Nate a fair bit of the time, so perhaps it'd work out. I wonder this myself.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    Yeah, the length would bother me a bit.

It's a dilemma I have with my names!
    Alessandra and Nathaniel are my number ones, but when you get into the boys names, the letters shrink!
    Henry, Eden, Leo are my next 3 names after Nathaniel! After Nathaniel, Jensen's the longest name on my list. And those don't match stylistically.

Nathaniel would likely go by Nate a fair bit of the time, so perhaps it'd work out. I wonder this myself.
    Looks like we're in the same situation! The next longest name on my list is Connor (which can never be used) and then Caleb. It's a difficult situation!

listography.com/JessicaRoseSays

Alexander Owen ~ Patrick Thomas ~ Jeremy Shea ~ Nolan Jack ~ Conor Arlo ~ Evan Daniel ~ Samuel Mark
    Nora ~ Claire ~ Stella ~ Maura ~ Madeleine ~ Violet ~ Victoria ~ Ava ~ Gabrielle ~ Leah ~ Soleil

Yeah, it bothers me. But I also think it depends on the 'weight' of the name as well. Arabella and Daisy work fine, Persephone and Grace do not. So I think the actual name as a lot to do with it.

As for your specific example, Mark and Alexander do not match IMO. I think Alexander and Evan or Jack would be OK.
    Loving: Lilith Delphine, Daphne Elisabeth, Eleanor Lilac and my GP Amaryllis Clio
    William Dougal, Rupert Theodore and my GP Augustin Sage

Celestia, Opal, Agatha, Mabel, Delphine, Lilith, Magnolia, Eleanor, Olympia, Harriet, Daphne, Nora, Tabitha, Lilac, Saffron, Wilhelmina, Clio, Amaryllis
    Vaughn, Sterling, Samson, Sage, Rupert, Hugo, August, Stellan, Dougal, Sydney, Theodore, William