Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Waylon and Coltrane and Ray?

About 5 weeks from baby and still undecided on names…

We would love to hear your opinions! We love the sound and ease of Waylon, the strength and nickname for Coltrane (Cole), and the unassuming grace and coolness of Ray. Middle name Thomas.

Thank you!

Here's my opinions on the individual names:

Waylon -- makes me think of Waylon Jennings and one of the most awful little boys I've ever worked with. I think it sounds like "wailing" and just generally dislike it. I'm sorry if that's harsh, but I think there are better names for the sound and ease. Please don't be offended.

Coltrane -- I think it's very cool and the jazz connection is very cool too. I think it might be one of those that might at first over shadow your little boy until his personality grows into it. Cole (and Trane for that matter) is a very cool nickname.

Ray -- I'm biased as I had a terrible boyfriend with this name, but putting that aside, I think it has a fine sound. I don't get grace from it, but I can see coolness and it has a country twang to it for me (like Waylon).

With the middle name Thomas:

Waylon Thomas -- This has a nice sound. It flows well and goes together pretty well.

Ray Thomas -- This sounds fine too, though a bit choppy to me, that certainly shouldn't bother you.

Coltrane Thomas -- While I do really like Coltrane, I'm sad to say it doesn't go too well with Thomas. However, keep in mind that the middle name is rarely used in conjunction with the first name so that might not be too much of a problem if it doesn't bother you.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I think Waylon has the grace and coolness of Ray. Refreshing name. Ray Waylon would be kind of lovely, repetitive in a good way I think. Coltrane has a bit of a hipster tinge, unless you're actual musicians, or serious Coltrane fans.
    Waylon is beautiful and free-sounding, and if you use Thomas as a middle, it sounds a little like "Wailin' Thomas" a la Howlin' Wolf!

Ha! Dantea- just read your comment about Waylon- "wailing." See.. I think it's cool, in a blues musician kind of way.
    Wayland would solve that.

Oh Emma, I get what you're saying. In the sense I was thinking, it was more "screaming" than Howlin' Wolf like. I do see what you're saying there which give it a tiny bit of goodness to me as I like Howlin' Wolf.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014