Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I've wondered why people thnk they're all aweful as well. All names were made up at some point in time. They didn't just fall out of the sky. Some want to say they'd have to spell their name, pronounce it everyday of their lives, and/or they don't have a meaning. Truth is, I know very few people that don't have to spell their name on a daily basis. I have friends named Rachel, Sophia, Christina, Morgan, and Laura who have to spell their names almost daily. Most of the ones who don't have to are Heather's, Jessica's, and Jennifer's. Many old names have various spellings, such as Ann could also be Anne and Catherine could be Catharine, Katherine, Katharine, or Kathryn just to name a few. As for pronunciation issues, I've seen several people on here consider using 'established' names like Antigone, Fionnuala, and Ceridwen. I highly doubt many people outside (and even inside) the naming community know how to pronounce, let alone spell them. As for meanings, many people don't care about name meanings, and really, how many people are going to walk up to you to talk about the meaning of your name? People also want to say it's 'low class' to use new/recent names. Truth is, people from all walks of life and social classes use new/recent names, and not everyone with old names are high class/successful people. I know school drops out/exotic dancers named Elizabeth, Olivia, Isobel, and Catherine, a former Mayor with two girls named Braelyn and Kyrie, and a son named Cy (pr. S-eye), and university professors named Ryann (girl), Brantlee (girl), Addison (girl), Cove (boy), and Teddy (boy, full name, not nickname).
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

Some "made-up" names work. Others don't. I think the best test is to ask yourself, "What will this name look like on a resume one day? Would I hire someone with this name?"

I don't think made-up names bother me as much as the kreatif spellings. Made-up names can work, especially if they have significant meaning or symbolize something relevant.

I worked with a woman who named her daughter Lili, but pronounced it Lily. To me, "Lili" is not creative. It's a misspelling, and it is not phonetically correct.

And yes, made-up names are often associated with lower-class children, but that is not always the case. However, my local newspaper is publishing a series of stories about child poverty. Some of the names: Twins named Trevin and Trendin, a little girl named Novella ... her brother's name was Karl(!) Another little girl's name spelled Kaydynce.

Hmm

To me, a made up name is like a homemade dress made without a pattern or a cake baked without a recipe. Sometimes it works, some people have a talent at throwing that kind of thing together. But often it's an ill-fitting, awkward disaster or leaves a bad taste in your mouth!

Classic, storied, familiar names just appeal to me more.

Just like with cakes & clothes I leave it to the experts

Real names are based out of language, they have an etymology - making stuff up looks uneducated and tacky.

Personally, I don't think 'made up' names are terrible. But for me to really accept them as names they have to sound legitimate and look legitimate and probably have some type of meaning, either by using a word with meaning in the name or by having a personal meaning to it.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot