Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Saw a new name...

Was at the bookstore with DH and happened across a book. The title, The Snow Child, caught my eye. I'm all about magical wintry crap.

I read the description on the back. The book is about a couple who can't have children. They build a child out of snow. The next day the snow child is gone but there is a little girl mysteriously living in the woods. She calls herself Faina.

I don't remember the rest of the description because I was enchanted by the name Faina. I didn't buy the book because my husband and I are having trouble TTC and I was afraid it might hit a little close to home in regards to that fragile subject. But the name is very pretty to me.

Nameberry says it's a variant of Faine, "joyous," or Fawn.

Any thoughts? Just figured I'd share it. I think it's lovely but DH doesn't like it. Figures. :-)

Oh, the author's name was pretty, too: Eowyn Ivey.
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Boy Combos: Jack Gabriel Walker & Jonah Michael Whittaker
    David . Alexander (Andy) . Xavier . Abel . Edgar . Apollo . Thomas . Harry . Walter . Frederick

Girl Combos: Clementine Mary Theresa . Cecelia Rose Elizabeth
    Gemma . Beatrice . Vesper . Stella . Claire . Diana . Gloria . Rosemary . Winter . Georgia . Grace . Judith . Corinne

Ooh, I think Faina is charming! I always liked the name of the female deer on Bambi, Faline, but it was too "feline" to ever consider. Faina has the same general sound and feel, without being catlike. As a child I named one of my dolls Shaina (supposed to be Shane with an A at the end--no idea where I got that dumb idea from). I've always loved that kind of sound though. Cool find. Faina makes me think of fairies and fairy tales and enchanted forests.

Quote Originally Posted by alzora View Post
    Ooh, I think Faina is charming! I always liked the name of the female deer on Bambi, Faline, but it was too "feline" to ever consider. Faina has the same general sound and feel, without being catlike. As a child I named one of my dolls Shaina (supposed to be Shane with an A at the end--no idea where I got that dumb idea from). I've always loved that kind of sound though. Cool find. Faina makes me think of fairies and fairy tales and enchanted forests.
    My sister has the name (not her first name) Shaina, from the Yiddish.

I like Shaina and Raina/Reina better than Faina, but I do like the deer imagery.

Behind the Name has Faina listed as a three syllable Russian name, and says it's possibly related to one of the Greek Charities. And means "shining" which is pretty.

I like "Faine" quite a bit. A shame it sounds like feign, otherwise I'd use it as a nice, bright middle.

Isn't Eowyn a character in LotR?

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey

I would imagine she invented it... Except it's already linked in the nameberry database (and we know how many legitimate names are left out). They say it means joyous, and I've been scratching my head trying to figure that one out. Phaenna I can see (the Grace in question), but that means 'shining.' I thought of it as a diminutive of Theophane, meaning 'reveal,' but obviously that nowhere near joyous.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq