Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I agree with Mischa-- Aidric is a much more familiar (relatively speaking) way to spell the name. It would lose its connection to the Adriatic sea, however. Thanks to the uber-popularity of the name Aidan, not to mention the everyday word 'aid,' I think Aidric would have fewer pronunciation problems than Adrik.

Also, the Latin word for darkness is 'tenebra.' The closest word I can think of to Adrik in Latin is adrigo/adrix, which means 'to become sexually aroused.' Hmmm....
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Blade. Sexually aroused... wow?? I do not speak Latin, but gathered the "darkness" definition through several websites.

http://babynames.merschat.com/index....w&bn_key=22869
    http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/adrik

Better do some more research though!

Aidric would definitely eliminate the confusion over pronunciation. I am not certain if I like it better than Adrik though. I have to give it some thought. Thanks again!!

I love the name Adrik James! True I do prefer the spelling Aidrik but you shouldn't get too much prn trouble. People will probably say ADD-rik but correct them and they will easily get the hang of it. It's not that hard of a name.

Now concerning Aden and Adrik, honestly I think they are different enough that is shouldn't be a big deal unless your sister is anal about her names. If you really think the similar beginning will bother her here are some other suggestions.

Alaric
    Osric
    Merric/Merrick
    Ulric
    Edric
    Garrick
    Orrick
    Yorick
    Diedrick
    Varick
    Derrick
    Warrick
    Alrik
    Hendrik
    Henrik
    Gerik
    And my favorite: Wulfric/Wolfric
    Mama of two beautiful boys!

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
    So are the children of one’s youth.
    Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
    ~Psalm 127:4-5a

If it helps, without having seen the name before, I would have pronounced it AY-drik. That being said, while he may not run into too much trouble with pronunciation, he will have to spell his name for others frequently (as he would if it was Aidric). However, that's all part and parcel of having an unusual name.

Quote Originally Posted by denajoan View Post
    Thanks so much for your thoughts, Blade. Sexually aroused... wow?? I do not speak Latin, but gathered the "darkness" definition through several websites.

http://babynames.merschat.com/index....w&bn_key=22869
    http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/adrik

Better do some more research though!

Aidric would definitely eliminate the confusion over pronunciation. I am not certain if I like it better than Adrik though. I have to give it some thought. Thanks again!!
    Ah, now I see. Those websites don't do any research, they just collate things googleable from other websites. The best, most reliable site for eytmology/meanings is behindthename.com

Adria, and the Adriatic sea, were originally named for the Roman Emperor Hadrian. His name means "from Hadria," but there is a false etymology that the name means 'dark'-- as is *dark-complected,* with olive skin and black hair. (Not darkness like at night). In actually all of these names-- Adrienne, Adria, Adrian, and Adrik-- all mean "Emperor Hadrian." Which isn't to discount their legitimacy; several historical Adrians have done very interesting things.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq