Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I also want to add that after a rough day,meals are low key. Ordeing pizza and putting on a netflix? Yep! Popcorn, apple slices, string cheese and smoothies I make? Yep! Cereal? Again, yes! My needs are also taken into consideration, cooking up a few boxes of Annies mac and cheese and blending in pureed squash is an easy go-to meal as well. I love my kids, but every night of the week will not do something elaborate. I do like to sit down together if just for a few minutes, but there is lots of variety in what we serve but egryone always gets a full belly.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

Thanks for all your ideas. pinkballerina it looks like today's children when they are small like the same things. I know that pasta is a big hit with the kids and preferably without sauce on it. I can't imagine a more tasteless meal. I would be interested to have the parmesan chicken recipe if you feel like sharing it.

I started out with the no junk food ethic and I am still 100% behind all parents who practice it, but when my son went to a kid's party and I found him with his mouth so full of lollies that he couldn't swallow I later rethought about being totally against junk food. (He obviously felt deprived and to have stuffed his mouth full to the brim.) One year I held a kid's party with no lollies! However, when one small girl came up and asked me where her lolly bag was I felt so bad that I never had a no lolly party again.

jemama I totally agree that meal times should not be a battle of wills but it must be hard when day after day kids refuse perfectly good food. The fact that the kids are wasting food would get to me. But how do you get them to embrace food in the most normal way that is to eat a meal three times a day with healthy snacks in between.

I also agree that if the children share meals around a table with their parents it is a great place to teach them manners so that they do not end up being like little savages, eating with their fingers, swinging on their chairs etc etc.

To anyone out there with a picky eater how did you get your child to eat enough so that they would not wake during the night because they were hungry?

rollo

There isnt wasting, we pack up leftovers and my DH takes them into work for lunch and dinner or we keep them around for later. I rarely throw things out unless its been mixed and mashed and is gross looking. My older 3 are in school, so they eat breakfast in the morning, lunch there and snacks there too (they all attend a sudbury/democratic school so there is no set lunch time). Usually a snack when they get home and dinner later on. I also think especially when ypung that humans were not made to eat 3 large meals a day, so I expect less fromthem when wee. I also have chosen to breastfeed well into the toddler years so I never worried about the calories etc, they were always growing with no deficiencies and doing fine. Plus it has helped as we have grown our family to see the "peer pressure" the older kids have over the youngers...for instance to have Linus hate all fruit when he was younger for a little while watch Seb amd Bronwen ask for apples, pears etc until he finally tries them and likes them. Mom and Dad, who carescwhat they like but "cool" big brother and sister, yes, sign me up!
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

It's very important to me that we all have dinner together. I've always found it to be a nice, relaxing bonding time. My husband gets the children during the week and his ex-wife gets them on the weekends. During dinner we talk about what happened at school, work, soccer practice, ballet, the latest spongebob episode, etc. To figure out what to eat, I usually just ask my kids "What sounds good for dinner?" I've found spaghetti, tacos, Dino nuggets, Mac and cheese, and soup are easy go-to options even picky eaters will eat. My kiddies have a lot of allergies but I know those are there favorites! If they don't eat what's served, there's always cereal in the pantry! My husband tries to use the guilt trick of "There are a lot of kids who don't even have food," it almost NEVER works!
    Stepmom to Noah Isaac, 7, Emma-Sarah Kathryn, 5, and Ruby Adeline, 4, with first baby due July 2013
    Girls: Aurora, Felicity, Matilda, Daphne, Phoebe, Juliet, Georgia
    Boys: Conan Rhys, Ezra, Dashiell, Callum, Orson, Thayer

baisically our rule is you have to try everything on your plate and eat the vegetables before getting desert if there is desert. we are quite lucky not to have picky eaters (although our three year old doesnt like her veggies and would prefer to give them to the rabbit !)

on weekdays my husband tends to get home when the children go to bed so the kids eat first and then we eat when they are in bed. but we all eat together on sunday as we consider it a family time so it gives time to tell everyone about their week and what they did at school etc..

i am very lucky that my husband loves to cook so he will generally cook at the weekend but i cook for him on weekdays unless he says that he wants too (not likely)
    He often helps at bathtime and when he comes in from work he will go and say goodnight to the kids unless he comes in before and puts them to bed himself.