Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rowan is 15 months old and she is just starting to go through her first picky phase. Up until about a month ago, she would literally eat anything I gave her. Of course she has her favorites (blueberries, raspberries, mandarin oranges, fruit mostly...) but she would at least try any new food I presented her with (except meat, she will not touch anything with meat in it even if its hidden in sauce or soup)

Lately, she is turning her nose up at just about everything. She usually loves avocados with a little salt but today I offered her some and she spit it out like it was poison. All she has wanted the past few weeks is Cheerios, oranges, and anything crunchy. She has actually cut back dramatically on her milk too. I was so worried she wasn't getting enough nutrition I went out and bought that PediaSure stuff and luckily she liked it but I'm still kind of at a loss. She used to happily eat her veggies and pasta and rice and now she throws everything on the floor. Literally everything. If she is done with it, she launches it across the room. I was actually on the phone with my mom venting this exact conversation earlier, haha. It is so frustrating. I never thought I would have a picky eater since my husband and I are both "foodies" We love trying new things and experimenting. I hope it's just a phase.

And to answer your questions... Rowan goes to bed around 6:30 so we usually eat dinner together around 8-9. It's kind of become the relaxing time when we just zone out and watch a movie and talk to each other. When she gets older, I am going to try and have dinner all together at the table. And my husband is the one working right now, so I usually cook but he is actually better at it than me. He prepares meals for Rowan all the time though if he's home.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

rowangreeneyes do you prepare the evening meal early in the day? The scene you describe sounds spot on going by the girl's and unfortunately they are both so so about their milk which was always the staple food if they didn't eat the food offerings. The have just started on Akta-Vite a nice choclatey vitamin sprinkle for milk and it has been accepted but not 100%.

Like you I am a foodie and my mother said that when I was little I would eat my food up and ask for more! My kids ate what I gave them but the girls seem to change their food tastes every day or so.

rollo

My daughter is 4 and eats very well. She went through an awkward stage at the age of about 18 months or so when she ate little to nothing. I was quite concerned, especially when she lost 2lb, but she put it back on when she started eating normally again.

My DH and I eat with Amelie every night apart from Monday, because my DH doesn't finish work till 8pm on Mondays and it'd obviously be too late for her to eat then.

We have dinner at about 5:30pm most days. My DH finishes work at 4pm so he'll usually spend time with Amelie when I'm preparing dinner.

My family loves pasta, especially. We have that a couple times a week. I generally cook from scratch but we do occasionally indulge in something from the freezer every now and then.

Her favourite foods are spaghetti bolognaise, beef stew and parmesan chicken. We did "baby led weaning" with her which is why I think she eats such a variety of foods. The only food she won't eat is mashed potato, it literally makes her gag so I don't force it on her.

Amelie isn't allowed junk food - If DH and I want a treat, we don't eat it in front of her because we don't want her picking up bad habits.

After dinner, my DH will bathe Amelie while I clean up. Bedtime for her is at 7pm and daddy usually puts her to bed, apart from Mondays, when she is already in bed when he comes home.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Lucy, Ivy, Maya, Rosabel, Victoria, Alice, Molly, Juliet, Annabel, Sofia.
    Charlie, Arthur, William, Isaac, Noah, Finn, Vincent, Alexander, Zachary, Oscar.

Growing up, meal times were full of stress and drama for me as a child. So my DH and I thankfully agreed to keep it as low jey as possible. My oldest was super choosey when he was young, but will now at least try anything. The hardest thing for us was extended family meals (because in the eyes of the grandparents, a 14 month old should sit still and clean their plate for a 45 minute meal...which if they do, great but if not, that is also developmentally appropriate). We do not really "do" empty calorie foods in our house. Snacks are things like fruits, veggies and hummus, nuts, home made muffins etc. We also give our kids the option of eating what we have or having a pb and j (on whole wheat bread,natural pj, not Skippy etc, natural jams) and whatever rruits or veggies we have on hand. The last thing I want to do is make meals a time of struggle and battle of the wills. There are foods all 4 love, and there are foids half will eat and half will say "no thank you" to. I am excited that we moved to a home where there is a room right off the dining room area, this is to be the "little kids playroom" (the one with no legos, knex, littlest pet stuff etc) so this babe if he is "done" before we all are can play right near us wuthin earshot. Anyways...I will say that all 4 of mine at their ages now will at least try new things. I have my youngest hooked on a local indian buffett actually lol. Table manners are always something we do not let go...no throwing food, saying rude things to what they dont like (just said to Linus the other night "Lots of people like squash soyp so its not gross, you do not like it and thats fine just say 'no thank you' " (wasnt that formal, but you get my drift). Anywats, those are my thoughts. I had a sort of eating disorder (anxiety over people watching me eat) into even a few years ago that I feel stem from my childhoid meal time situations so I really want my kids to grow up listening to their bodys (when hungry, when full), enjoying food but not seeing it as a punishment or reward, and also learning good manners and eating habits. Not that they are perfect, but those are my goals at least.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

I will add too that because of Andy's schedule, dinner is me and the kids on weeknights. Weekends we do big fun meals on either Saturday or Sunday night. Before getting pregnant, we always did "each kid picks one food to have at the meal" as a tradition (and if we felt something was lacking, DH or I would also choose something lol) thats has been lax due to my constant feeling gross but anyways, a fun way to incorporate them into cooking. What is awesome too is that Seb and B can make certain foods now and *ask* to cook meals so I let them especially when Andy works/has class late.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)