Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mothers do you find meal times a trial? How do you survive them?

Especially the main meal of the day which is of course at night either before or after your kids are bathed and just before going to bed.

If your kids are picky eaters then meal time must be a nightmare. I think I would get very impatient with them not eating what I had prepared. So how does one survive this time of life?

Do you all eat together as a family (including your DH)? If not why not?

Or do you prepare two evening meals because DH is not home to eat with the children.

Do you often miss out on an evening meal? If so why? I can imagine mother saying I just don't have enough energy to cook a meal for DH and I at 8pm after the kids are in bed.

Does your DH help with getting the children to bed/reading to them/and or helping with the cooking?

My daughter has two picky eaters and the patience of a saint. Please tell us your story.

rollo

I have one extremely picky eater and two good eaters. Have tried everything to make my oldest eat more and a wider variety of foods, and it's very frustrating. After many years of this, I have found the most helpful approach is to prepare a main course that I enjoy, with some side dishes that he finds acceptable. If he refuses to eat the main course, he has to at least take ONE bite, then make himself a sandwich.

This way, I am well-fed and less irritable (which would NOT be the case if I were waiting until 8pm for dinner), and can deal with the kids and their everyday struggles. If my picky eater is hungry enough, he will eventually eat!

I'm extremely lucky to have an awesome DH who puts in more than his fair share of reading to them and getting them through the bedtime routine! I am doing a lot of the cooking these days (my choice) but when the kids were very little, he would often cook dinner after a full day at work. Enlightened (and rare, and cherished) man.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (9), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (1)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Claire Patricia, Cecilia, Serena (Seri), Audrey, Rose, Naomi, Maisie, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Lucy, Linnea
    Thomas, Paul, Henry, Miles, Arthur, Luther, Samuel, Seth

DH's "approved" list:
    Claire, Seri, Naomi, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas ("maybe")

Thank you mill1020 your story is inspiring.

We eat most evening meals together as a family, usually at 6 or 7pm. Most of my bio children have been fairly picky eaters, but, as with the pp, we had them at least taste the main dish. Now in their teens, my girls are adventurous eaters although perhaps not overly fond of vegetables. The oldest two are developing their own style of cooking which is different than mine.
    My 17-month-old foster daughter is a challenge! She only wants to eat what she can pick up with her fingers; no using a spoon or being spoon fed for her, if she has her way. For reasons I can't always understand, she then proceeds to toss every third piece or so over the edge of her high chair, unless we can stop her in time. She has only been with us a month, so its a work in progress.
    Forty-something mom to three teenage girls and an eleven-year-old boy
    Foster mom to two sweet sisters born Aug 2011 and Sept 2012 and another wee girl born Aug 2013

triss thank you for your input. It is a challenge to anticipate when the next morsel of food will hit the floor esp at 17 months but the good news is that your girls have now become adventurous eaters, that is encouraging to all the mothers who have children who are picky eaters.

rollo
    Last edited by rollo; January 21st, 2013 at 03:40 AM.