Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Name depression

Quote Originally Posted by hayleyinwonderland View Post
    I refrained from saying what my mothers problem with the name is incase it offends anybody, so lets be clear these are HER words and her opinion not mine - but she says Tyne is a "Black name". And apparently that's a negative thing for her. So this is what we're dealing with here

Her suggestions to me are names like Harley & Brettany which to me just sound chavy and not at all the kind of style I want.
    That's interesting...is it the potential "chavy" connection she doesn't like?

And that's the last ethnicity I'd have tied to Tyne! I was thinking Scandinavian through and through!

Honestly, I think it's best you go with the name you love, even if it displeases your parents. If you and your husband like it, GO WITH IT.
    I'd much rather be named Tyne by my parents who loved it, than by Harley because my grandparents pressured my mother's into it. I really wish you would stick with Tyne, because it sends out a huge message to your parents that you are an adult, and that your decisions are the right ones for YOU and your family, and deserve to be respected.
    Perhaps your husband could be the rock for you?
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

Ottilie - Yeah thats true! I do think I'll regret it if I don't use it. Did I tell you that we were playing around a few weeks ago calling out different names to the bump and he kicked FOUR times in direct response to Tyne?! lol. He ignored every other name, but every time we called out Tyne he kicked! I think its his name

Alex - yeah I think I'm def going to just vetoe any of her suggestions in future!! Its nice to know my mum isn't the only one who says inappropriate things like this! :/
    Hi! I'm Hayley

Currrent Favourite Names:

Malin Winter ~ Cadence Louisa ~ Bryony Rose ~ Bronwen Coralie ~ Autumn Raine ~ Lakyn Wren ~ Temperance Rae ~ Tierney Dot ~

Tyne William Henry ~ Macaulay ~ Lorne ~ Tiernan ~ Logan ~ Lane ~ Deacon ~ Regan ~ [I]

Check out my honest blog on the highs & lows of pregnancy - Sparkles & Stretchmarks

east93 - No she hasn't said its chavy, just that its "black"...apparently if she heard the name she would assume that the bearer was black. I don't understand how you can get that association without having ever met a single person with the name, or why it should even matter, but thats what she said.

I think another part of the issue is that Tyne is a connection to my other half, and she doesn't like him (nothing new there, she has never liked any of mine or my sisters boyfriends! She likes very few people in general....). He never gets drawn into the conversations about names with her, and just says he doesn't care what she thinks but that its ultimately my decision and he'll go along with whatever name I most want to use - but Tyne would be his first choice too.

I wouldn't let him stand up to her on my behalf though, as right now we live with them temporarily and the relationship is already strained without adding any fuel to the fire!
    Hi! I'm Hayley

Currrent Favourite Names:

Malin Winter ~ Cadence Louisa ~ Bryony Rose ~ Bronwen Coralie ~ Autumn Raine ~ Lakyn Wren ~ Temperance Rae ~ Tierney Dot ~

Tyne William Henry ~ Macaulay ~ Lorne ~ Tiernan ~ Logan ~ Lane ~ Deacon ~ Regan ~ [I]

Check out my honest blog on the highs & lows of pregnancy - Sparkles & Stretchmarks

east93 - No she hasn't said its chavy, just that its "black"...apparently if she heard the name she would assume that the bearer was black. I don't understand how you can get that association without having ever met a single person with the name, or why it should even matter, but thats what she said.

I think another part of the issue is that Tyne is a connection to my other half, and she doesn't like him (nothing new there, she has never liked any of mine or my sisters boyfriends! She likes very few people in general....). He never gets drawn into the conversations about names with her, and just says he doesn't care what she thinks but that its ultimately my decision and he'll go along with whatever name I most want to use - but Tyne would be his first choice too.

I wouldn't let him stand up to her on my behalf though, as right now we live with them temporarily and the relationship is already strained without adding any fuel to the fire!
    Ahhkay, I understand.

Honestly, given your recent response to ottilie, I think Tyne is the name that should be used.

Really and truly, it's a name with so many positives and meaning to you and apparently to your baby, definitely stick to your wants on this one.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

Ottilie - Yeah thats true! I do think I'll regret it if I don't use it. Did I tell you that we were playing around a few weeks ago calling out different names to the bump and he kicked FOUR times in direct response to Tyne?! lol. He ignored every other name, but every time we called out Tyne he kicked! I think its his name
    That is a clear sign, Hayley, he has chosen his own name! Your baby is pure awesome!

My mother in law (well boyfriend's mum) isn't a big fan of me either which can be difficult (his dad adores me though, so it even out). It must be tough to live with your parents at the moment, I feel for you. How long are you staying there?
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014