Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Name depression

Thanks guys. I know I have to stop telling them, but the problem is we've already made the mistake - Tyne was the first name we loved and we told them, and they hate it. Now every name I come up with is an attempt to find a compromise and not one I truly want, so the damage to the name I want to use is already done and has been from the start.

I hate the idea of a popular name and I'm not a fan of using longer names just to shorten it, and I know that no compromise would work with my mother anyway - she won't like anything unless its been her suggestion, I've figured that much out now.
    And I despise all of her suggestions - plus even if I didn't, why should I compromise?! :/

Kungfualex - no...here Tyne Daly is a barely-remembered has been from Cagney & Lacey so its not considered a feminine name just because of the association with her because that association barely exists - its not really considered a name at all, there were only 3 children registered with the name here last year - its very unusual which is why I like it.
    I refrained from saying what my mothers problem with the name is incase it offends anybody, so lets be clear these are HER words and her opinion not mine - but she says Tyne is a "Black name". And apparently that's a negative thing for her. So this is what we're dealing with here

Her suggestions to me are names like Harley & Brettany which to me just sound chavy and not at all the kind of style I want.
    Hi! I'm Hayley

Currrent Favourite Names:

Malin Winter ~ Cadence Louisa ~ Bryony Rose ~ Bronwen Coralie ~ Autumn Raine ~ Lakyn Wren ~ Temperance Rae ~ Tierney Dot ~

Tyne William Henry ~ Macaulay ~ Lorne ~ Tiernan ~ Logan ~ Lane ~ Deacon ~ Regan ~ [I]

Check out my honest blog on the highs & lows of pregnancy - Sparkles & Stretchmarks

Oh no she didn't! Maybe she's thinking of Taye Diggs? Tyne - Taye, just a thought. Anyway, ugh, I don't know what to say. You can give me her phone number and I can yell at her for you if you'd like

Please please go with Tyne though. It's the sweetest name possible.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Hmm could be, I'm not sure if she'd know who he was though. Possibly she's relating it to Tyson as a PP commented that they were similar?
    Even so though, she's ridiculous. I don't understand how I was created from her genes lol.

I really really really want to be strong enough to go with Tyne - I just know what a weakling I am when it comes to standing up to her :/
    Hi! I'm Hayley

Currrent Favourite Names:

Malin Winter ~ Cadence Louisa ~ Bryony Rose ~ Bronwen Coralie ~ Autumn Raine ~ Lakyn Wren ~ Temperance Rae ~ Tierney Dot ~

Tyne William Henry ~ Macaulay ~ Lorne ~ Tiernan ~ Logan ~ Lane ~ Deacon ~ Regan ~ [I]

Check out my honest blog on the highs & lows of pregnancy - Sparkles & Stretchmarks

I know that feeling... Here's the thing though. If you don't go with Tyne you most likely will regret it. You wouldn't not use it because of your own feelings, but because of what your mother says. This might lead to resentment. When your baby is born, she won't care what he is called, I would think. When she sees the fluffy pink cuteness her heart will melt and she'll be in love with him, and no ones dislikes the name of someone they love. The name takes the colours of the person who wears it.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by hayleyinwonderland View Post
    I refrained from saying what my mothers problem with the name is incase it offends anybody, so lets be clear these are HER words and her opinion not mine - but she says Tyne is a "Black name". And apparently that's a negative thing for her. So this is what we're dealing with here
    My mom says stuff like this too. She said something similar about the names a friend was considering--Taran for a girl, Declan for a boy. I told her that was really inappropriate to say and that I had no idea how she made that connection anyway. That was like 8-9 years ago, though, and I think she's either become more tolerant or at least learned that it's not acceptable to say racist stuff even if she thinks it.

It also doesn't seem like your mom is against uncommon names and in favor of classic names, which I could also see coming from an older generation. Brettany just seems like a mash-up of other names to me. Really, if I was in your situation, whether I went with Tyne or not, I'd probably automatically rule out any name she suggested, even if I would have ordinarily liked it, just because she's being so pushy about it.