Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Margaret or Martha or Mary

I love Margaret, Martha, and Mary. Obviously, I can really only use one - but how do I decide?

Margaret - It is classic and classy, and the nickname options are endless. Maggie, Meg, May, Maisie, etc. I feel like Margaret is one of those names that you can make your own and can fit any personality. I love the versatility. It just doesn't seem as fresh as Martha and Mary.

Martha - It's underused and sounds oh-so fresh. Think about it. A little Martha. I can't get over the cuteness. And as Ms. Stewart shows, it certainly works on a woman. But what about a teen? And unlike Margaret, there aren't many established nicknames.

Mary - Again, I think it is so underused. It honors family in a big way - both my husband and I have multiple Maries, Maureens, and, farther back, Marys in our family tree. Plus, as Catholics, we love the religious significance. Overall, Mary is incredibly meaningful to us. But we didn't use family names for either of our boys- is it strange to only give one child a family name?

Which one would you choose? Brothers are Theodore and Philip.

Thanks!
    Mom to Teddy and Pip. Naming #3.

My vote goes to Mary! I think it is underused and would be absolutely perfect with your son's names. My 4 yo dd had a Mary in her preschool class last year, and the teachers and other parents always commented how nice it was to see a little girl in pigtails named Mary. I love all of your options, so I can see why you are having trouble deciding. I had Martha and Marta on my short list......I ultimately decided that the Marta Stewart connection was just too strong for me -- it was everyone's first comment when I mentioned the name.

I vote Mary too. I would love to meet a little Mary! It has a few nicknames too, like Molly, Polly and May and its cute on its own for a little girl and an adult. I think its adorable and fresh and goes great with your sons' names. I like Margaret too but I know a lot of Maggies so it doesn't feel that fresh to me.
    Violet Gray
    Sad name-obsessed teenager and aspiring writer

Current Name Crushes: August, Avery, & Flynn: Eliza, Georgiana & Dahlia

For me, Margaret is easily the first I would veto. It has a seriousness that I don't love. The nickname thing is nice but I prefer Marjorie as Margaret is so common.

Mary & Martha I adore. Martha feels slightly more special & slightly softer. Mary feels so vintage & sweet but strong & down-to-earth as well.

I think Mary wins.

I would pick Margaret, beautiful name with adorable nn options. Love Meg!
    Mary is a really close second.