Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WDYT of Marnie?

I've come around to it. A student that I used to work with couldn't quite say my first name and twisted it into Marnie, which sweetened me to it. It's still got strong Hitchcock associations for me so that increases its coolness.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell

I think Marnie sounds a tad dated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hayleyinwonderland View Post
    I LOVE Marnie.
    Singer Lily Allen just named her daughter Marnie I believe, so could become popular but its very cute as a nn!!!
    I had to google Lily Allen and while I still don't know who she is, I like her DDs names (Ethel and Marnie).......I agree that it could spark an upswing in the name, but who knows. Hopefully it wouldn't get too popular, but it would only be a nickname, so not a huge deal. But it does turn me off from using it a little.......I just hate riding any "celeb baby name" wave, know what I mean?

LOVE Marnie. Like a pp said, the Hitchcock association makes it uber cool for me, but also the fact that a Girls character is called Marnie renders it more modern than it may have been before. Though I've never looked at Marnie and seen old lady. Ethel, yes, but Marnie is pretty spunky in my opinion.

I think Marnie is cute and spunky, and the story of how she got the nickname just makes it even better
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot