Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cristiano

Cristiano

What do you think of Cristiano? It's the Portuguese and Italian form of Christian. I like it and prefer its sound to Christian, but my friend said the Ronaldo (Cristiano Ronaldo, if you don't follow European football) association makes it seem kind of tacky and celebrity-influenced. Also, would you perceive it as being quite religious? You know, it means "Christian". I am an non-religious person of a Christian socio-cultural background - would it be okay for me to use it? I wouldn't want to seem disrespectful.

It sounds more ethnic than religious. If you aren't from a Portuguese/Italian/Hispanic etc background, I don't think it could work. If you are, it's very handsome! After you move past the ethnic sound, I do go straight to "Oh, Christian." And if you're not a christian, it does seem a bit weird to name your son Christian. It'd be sort of like a Christian naming her son Pagan or a Pagan naming her son Buddhist.

Now, I don't think it's disrespectful, just strange. If my thinking it's strange doesn't bother you, go ahead and use it. It is very handsome.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I automatically think of Cristiano Ronaldo, and most people here in the UK would too.

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    It sounds more ethnic than religious. If you aren't from a Portuguese/Italian/Hispanic etc background, I don't think it could work.
    I'm a European so that wouldn't really matter. We tend to use names from different countries regardless of background, and this is often influenced by celebrities who have the names. I know a couple who named their daughter the Icelandic name Loa, which they heard while they were on honeymoon in Iceland. I've known people with Italian names like Antonio, Giovanni, Luca, Bianca and Francesca who were not Italian - their parents just liked the names. That might seems strange to Americans but it's relatively common here.

I like Cristiano a lot. It does seem to be a bit odd to use if you're not of that nationality, to me, anyway, but it is very handsome. As for the non-Christian thing, I think that's up to you. As a Christian I wouldn't find it offensive. I love the name Christian/Cristian/Cristiano, and would love to see it used in general. Something more along the lines of Trinity or Messiah would be offensive to me. But Christian/Cristiano? No, I think you're fine. I think it more comes down to you and whether you're comfortable yourself. I love Daphne, but it still seems weird to use, since I'm a Christian and don't ascribe to the teachings of Greek mythology. Is it usable to me? I don't know. I don't think anyone else would bat an eye--it's just something I have to come to terms with on my own.

Cristiano is super handsome, though. I would love to meet one.