Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I knew someone in middle school whose name was S (first name) Miles, so he went by Smiles.

Some guy from my mom's home town is named Sperby, and apparently he's a junior. So you'd think he might pick a nickname to upgrade, right? Nope. Bunky.

I also had a great-aunt Pinkie. I forget her real name, but she got the nn b/c she was a strawberry blond.

Quote Originally Posted by catheyc View Post
    Very interesting question! I have never thought about this. I don't know. Spending so much time coming up with the perfect name, and then they choose to go by something like this? I feel like I wouldn't be happy about it, but it would obviously be the kid's decision. And maybe in the actual situation I wouldn't dislike it as much as I think I would. My grandfather went by a nickname that was based on his last name and had nothing to do with his first name, but it was a real name (Leo). That's as close as I get to this situation.
    I have an uncle who is named Robert Jens Andersen, and he is known exclusively as Andy Andersen.

I know a 3 year old named Sunshine that goes by Pink/Pinkie/Pinkle by many people. I watch a 2 year old (girl) named Taylor. A family nn is Taylor Bug. I started calling her that, and now I just call her Bug most of the time. If anyone else calls her Bug she looks at them funny, but when I do she automatically answers without hesitation. I know a 3 year old named Lucy, who has a common family nn of Tiny (due to her small size). When I was little my dad called my Bitsy often, but my name is Sarah Louise.

It's very common in my family actually.

My father's nickname backhome is Coppa, which as nothing to do with his name.
    My grandfather goes exclusively by Jim, when his birthname is Hilton. Same with my grandmother and many of her sisters (Pinky, Cherry, Tutti, or my grandfather's sister Bibi)

My aunt calls me Cookie Face often too which again, nothing to do with my name. lol.

Honestly, considering the efforts I've put into picking their name, I would not be happy at all. Especially for something that's so silly. I would basically let them, but they better be aware that I'm never calling them by their chosen silly nickname.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by pippi777 View Post
    I watch a 2 year old (girl) named Taylor. A family nn is Taylor Bug. I started calling her that, and now I just call her Bug most of the time. If anyone else calls her Bug she looks at them funny, but when I do she automatically answers without hesitation.
    That is beyond adorable.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto