Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Helpless on boy names!

I'm pregnant and we can't decide on a boy's name.

For girls, we like Philippa (Pippa for short--not because of Kate, but because she's always been my favourite character in the LM Montgomery books), Vivian, and Eve. Classic and timeless, and not so on-the-edge of vintage hipster that they'll be all over the place in our Southwest London nursery school. We know 3 Alfies, an Albert, and a Benedict.

Our last name is a one-syllable 'Y' name, and we'd like to use Peter and Gray (family names following a double-barrel tradition) as middles. Names we've thought of thus far are:

Maxwell Peter Gray (we both like this, but thinking it might be too trendy)
    Thomas Peter Gray (husband thinks it's a bit boring)
    Felix Peter Gray (not sure if this is too trendy/pretentious)
    Layton Peter Gray (husband's choice, named after his 'Professor Layton' game, though I think it sounds... less than classy)
    Robert Peter Gray (Robert after my dad and grandfather), would go by 'Rob', but not an exciting name.
    Edmund Peter Gray (husband isn't keen, but I love it!)
    Nathan Peter Gray (again, husband's choice... not inspired myself)

Struggling for ideas here! Names like Oliver, Henry, James, Harry, Jack, etc. are out. Too trendy. Do any of the ones above sound good? What are the stereotypes you'd associate with each of them? Would LOVE suggestions and/or alterations.
    Last edited by linguaphile; January 12th, 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added more names

Felix Peter Gray is really nice. I hate Layton. Maxwell is okay, but a bit popular. Thomas is a bit boring, but it's lovely. Robert is one of my favourite names - you could have Robbie as a nickname which seems a bit cuter.

Felix is my favourite, with Robert a close second.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Thanks, philomena. I'm inclined to agree with you.

Also, forgot to add two more: Edmund Peter Gray (possible nn Teddy when he's small) and Nathan Peter Gray (again, may be boring).
    Last edited by linguaphile; January 12th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Love Edmund most of all! How refreshing in a classroom full of "we aren't bothered by formality so we chose exactly the same set of diminutive nicknames-as-full-names as all of our friends" kids.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Thomas Peter Grey is absolutely stunning! Not boring at all. I also love Felix and Maxwell. I think Layton is terrible and actually sounds feminine.