Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    So sorry to offend, Cosmonaut! I was under the impression (from a book I read a while back, "Bury Me Standing") that gypsy/gipsy was a word with negative connotations that had been reclaimed by Romani people, much like "Indian" has been reclaimed by Native Americans. I find their culture and especially their music, to be really beautiful.. Well, live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    Like most movies, it will be popular for the first year or two and then fade into memories...Once Django Unchained is "just another Tarantino movie," most people will have forgotten where they heard the name.
    I doubt this for a few reasons:
    1) it's the name of the movie not just a character though if you throw out the name Marsellus most anyone who's seen Pulp Fiction a few times will think of the film because the name is so unique.

2) Some Tarantino films don't fade away because they're either classics or they're controversial and often times they're both. Inglorious Basterds has yet to fade away in part because of race controversies and Django Unchained will certainly have the same problems. Tarantino has used the N word in almost every one of his film but he managed to work it into Django Unchained over 100 times (!!) prompting Spike Lee and others to refuse to see it. It has sparked debates on how accurate his use of the word is, was it necessary and whether or not it's cultural appropriation.

Bottom line the name Django has a rich, cool history I think its usable and as a mixed race person I am not offended (not sure that even matters). However, from now on I will associate it with Django Unchained and this film will go down in history as the film in which a White man managed to use "N*gger" over 100 times. No way are people going to forget it or anything related to it for quite some time if ever.

Edit: FWIW My husband disagrees with me and has sided with the above quote and others saying the movie won't be that memorable, which makes this an even more interesting debate to me!

I hope no one was offended by the use of the N word spelled out. I wont use it again but there's a reason why I did; so often when we see "'N' word" we don't say the spelled out version in our head (thank God) but in this case I wanted you to imagine hearing that version over 100 times in the course of two hours and ask yourselves is that something you would forget? I'm also not trying to start a race debate, this was intended to be strictly about the film and its relation to the name. Sorry for any typos and autocorrections I'm on my phone
    Last edited by agent99; January 12th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

~~Formerly know on the boards as The.TX.Belle~~

I like the name, use it!

And then there are those of us (and we're probably a larger group than you imagine) that have never heard of the movie at all. I agree with the one poster though--since I love the name and hope to use it one day, I'm glad more people will know how to pronounce it.

I only know the name because it is a rising star in Australia and I like names (I'm not Australian).

I think I need to have twin boys next and name them Django and Augustus. Django and Gus are pretty much the perfect names for twin boys.

In short--I think you should use it.