Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phelan/Faolan?

Phelan/Faolan?

Which spelling do you prefer? Pronounced FAY-lahn. It's Irish for 'little wolf', and was an Irish saint.

Phelan is the 'anglicised' spelling but honestly the Gaelic Faolan seems more logical to me, and more attractive too (I can't not think of Flan or Phlegm when I look at Phelan). But would Faolan be pronounced correctly? I don't know.

And what's your general opinion? I'm surprised it's more popular - half Finlay, half Caelan/other trendy --ay-lan names.
    close to my heart / future darlings
    Rufus - Emmett - Amadeus - Wilfrid - Eoghan - Huw
    Estella - Oona - Jemima - Eilidh - Effy- Billie

olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' and finally seventeen. (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

If Phelan weren't next to it I probably would not have known how to pronounce Faolan. I may have been inclined to think fow-lan vs fay-lan. I'm really not good with Irish name pronunciation.
    I like sound of the name. And I do think Faolan looks more attractve and it makes sense once you know how its supposed to be pronounced, but you probably will have people mispronouncing it.

Agreed that Faolan will be often mispronounced but is also the more attractive. Probably have to decide if aesthetic appeal/Gaelic roots are more important to you, or whether ease of pronunciation is more important.
    Mom to Luke Russell & James Reece

I'm not a big fan, as I think 'felon'...
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I always thought Faolan was pronounced FWAY-lahn and Phelan was pronouned FEE-lin.