Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which name do you like best?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • William

14 31.82%
  • Alexander

9 20.45%
  • Benjamin

10 22.73%
  • Sebastian

11 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help picking a first name for a possible son

Deciding on our girl choices was easy. We pretty much agreed right away that if this baby is a girl, her name would be either Catherine/Katherine or Elizabeth. But if it's a boy, we can't seem to decide between William, Alexander, Benjamin, or Sebastian. (If the decision was entirely up to me, he'd be Nicholas Alexander, but DH doesn't want to use Nicholas in the first spot because our nephew's name is Colin, which is a form of Nicholas.)

William: Has always been a long-time favorite for me -- I love it almost as much as Nicholas -- but I've been thinking that maybe we shouldn't use it in a sibset with possible future sisters Catherine and Elizabeth. Would that scream too much "British royal family", or are the names common enough that it doesn't really matter?

Alexander: A family name on both sides, but we can't seem to agree on the nickname. Hubby likes Alex, and only Alex, while I really love Xander or Sasha.

Benjamin: There are really no major problems with this name, except that I don't love it quite as much as William and Alexander.

Sebastian: I have a HUGE name crush on him lately, but I'm not sure if it'll turn out to be a lifetime love. Also, I'm not sure if he quite matches the classic, traditional style we like. Maybe better as a middle name?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mega_muffin; January 11th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Tough choice between Benjamin and William. Benjamin won by a hair!

I'd go with William since you both seem to really like it and don't have nickname issues with it.
    I think that it's classic enough not to seem weird with a Catherine or Elizabeth

Also - is there any way to convince DH to consider Nicholas? I only ask because I had no idea that Colin was a form of Nicholas. If I met a Colin and a Nicholas I would not even think twice about it.

I voted for William since you seem to love it the most. I don't think William, Elizabeth, and Catherine are too much but I live in the US.

William Alexander would be a very handsome choice.
    My Top Names:
    Bernice, Clara, Harlow, Harper, Lillian, Mabel, Rosemarie

Alden, Davis, Glenn, Eugene, Harley, Peter, Rudy

With Catherine/Katherine I LOVE William and Benjamin. (Benjamin only the slightest bit more)
    In all honesty all of your choices for both girls and boys can be made into great sibsets . . . I don't see one name that would be out of place (MAYBE Sebastian and Katherine could be a bit rhymey, but even this seems fine to me).

Good luck!

Oh, in addition William and Catherine seem more classic, conservative, and elegant to me - rather than "royal family". I love this sibset!

listography.com/JessicaRoseSays

Alexander Owen ~ Patrick Thomas ~ Jack ~ Conor ~ Nolan ~ Mark ~ Samuel ~ Jeremy ~ Ian ~ Vincent ~ Evan
    Nora ~ Claire ~ Stella ~ Madeleine ~ Violet ~ Victoria ~ Ava ~ Gabrielle ~ Leah ~ Soleil