Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Robin! love it
    Current Favorite Names
    ♀ Monet | Monroe | Celsius (MN) | Malachi | Chai | Iowa
    ♂ Celsius (MN) | Monroe | Andrew

"Cat Mom" to: Tiger Lilly Jane

I didn't know Robin was a nickname. It was a full name as far back as Robin Hood, so I figure it's a stand-alone. I love it and far prefer it to Robert.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

It seems strange to use Robin as a nick name, I've never heard of that. It'd be like using Mary as a nick name for Margaret. Like, I sort of get it and sort of don't.

Anyway, prefer Robin. But Robert is fine, and it seems like you're leaning that way, anyway! As a nickname, I prefer Rob or Robbie. Robin as a nickname seems like a stretch, I don't know why. Like you wanted to have your cake and eat it, too, rather than make a choice?

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey

Robin is a nickname for Robert, but it's more along the lines of a variation. I think in medieval times, this was pretty common--there was Jackin or Jankin for Jack or John, Dickon for Richard, etc. Robin is a diminutive variation on Robert that has come down to us intact probably because of Robin Hood. It's not the same as using Mary as a nickname for Margaret--Mary and Margaret are distinct names with separate etymologies.

I currently prefer Robin--it sounds fresh and cute for a boy, while having a long and rich history (and "The Dark Knight Rises" will probably only help the name's image!) And I only know one male Robin (middle-aged--his father was English), while I seem to know a plethora of Roberts and Bobs from my parents' and grandparents' generation. But Robin does seem a little lightweight compared with Robert, and Robert is used rarely enough now that on a baby it actually would sound fresh. And then you'd have the nickname options Rob, Robbie, Bob, Bobby, Bert and Bertie! as well as Robin.

I seem to have made a case for either one...sorry.
    Best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I love the idea of a boy named Robin. Especially since the last Batman movie came out.

Robert nn Robin is a good one too. I'm stumped on middle beyond the typical "Robin Alexander"
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto