Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

thoughts on Astoria

A friend of a friend had a girl named Astoria nn Stori mn J@yne. Wdyt?

I am not a fan. Especially of the Y thrown in there with Jane which drags down a lovely & simple classic imo. Astoria is nms either. Place names aren't my thing & ones that try to sound hip/urban are at the bottom of the list for me.

I love it, though I wouldn't use it unless I was from there or had a special connection to the place. Jayne is actually a pretty common misspelling of Jane, so I'm pretty used to it. I'd say she did pretty well - it could have been something like Astarriah Jaynee (please vote!)

Just lurking since the birth of my son S. G. A.
    Zorina, Faustine, Castalia, Vasilisa, Oriana, Anaxandra, Sebastiana
    ... Alaric, Silvan, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Caspian, Theron, Salvatore

I've always liked Astoria because of Waldorf Astoria Cake (aka Red Velvet). Hate Story/Stori.

Jane is pretty dull to me but Jayne has some Hollywood sparkle due to Jayne Mansfield

Fox * Rohan * Jade * Shea * Eden * Blaise * Greer
    Lotus * Noor * Tallulah * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Astoria... It sounds so fairytale exotic, so verdant.. I can tell you that Astoria is really not what it promises to be. I would never in a bazillion years name my kid Astoria (being from Brooklyn) but I think the world needs more people with zany names. So I vote in favor of it, especially since she's already been named! More power to her.

Lawn Guyland, NY
    Haha, I grew up in Astoria, Queens (NYC) so I could never imagine using it as a given name. But I guess without that strong connection it's usable. It's interesting, at least. Kind of pretty. Definitely a strong and memorable name. The nickname is cute but I'd like it better spelled Story.

I love Jane as a middle name.
    Married to Billy, daddy to Noah (8) and Sophia (4).
    Hoping and praying for baby #3 within the next year:
    Boy: Jude Thomas
    Girl: Eliza Jane or Ramona Jane...maybe.

Help us decide?
    Find me on twitter.