Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Your name!

This is a great idea My name is Isabella, with no middle name, and I've never really liked it. I am older than almost every Isabella I have met (so far there have been TWO that are older than me); I was born years before its popularity boom. As a little kid, I hated my name. I was always the only Isabella in my school and felt really weird (my best friends were Claire and Emily, go figure). I also have a four syllable, hyphenated last name, so I always felt that my name was much too long (still do). Now, Isabella has gone from one extreme to the other, and I must admit I totally resent Bella Swan from Twilight, as well as all the little 9 and under Isabellas, Bellas, and Ellas there are running around for "stealing" my name (I had it FIRST!). Actually, when I was little one of my best friends was named Ella, and everyone thought it was a strange name! I don't really like sound of Isabella, either. I always thought it sounded really intentionally girly and pretentious, and trying too hard to sound Italian/Spanish. And it's not very versatile; I briefly went through a tomboy phase when I would only wear boys' clothes and play sports with boys all the time. Now how seriously would you take a tomboy whose name is Isabella, for God's sake? Luckily, I've long since outgrown that and my looks now really suit the original image of what an Isabella should look like, and now my nickname, Izzy, sounds a bit strange on me, so I'm on a search for a new one that is not Bella or Ella. I'm thinking about Lina, which I am already called by some of my family. Any ideas?

P.S. I'm sorry this turned into a bit of a rant....
    Last edited by chicamerlin; January 10th, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
    ~Izzy, looking for a new nickname
    Currently Loving: Romilly, Esme, Piper, Helia, Scout..Rhett, Colin, Rhys, Adrian, Jonah

Quote Originally Posted by chicamerlin View Post
    This is a great idea My name is Isabella, with no middle name, and I've never really liked it. I am older than almost every Isabella I have met (so far there have been TWO that are older than me); I was born years before it's popularity boom. As a child, I hated my name. I was always the only Isabella in my school and felt really weird (my best friends were Claire and Emily, go figure). I also have a four syllable, hyphenated last name, so I always felt that my name was much too long (still do). Now, Isabella has gone from one extreme to the other, and I must admit I somewhat resent Bella Swan from Twilight, as well as all the little 9 and under Isabellas, Bellas, and Ellas there are running around. Actually, when I was little one of my best friends was named Ella, and everyone thought it was a strange name! I don't really like sound of Isabella, either. I always thought it sounded really intentionally girly and pretentious, and trying too hard to sound Italian/Spanish. And it's not very versatile; I briefly went through a tomboy phase when I would only wear boys' clothes and play sports. Now how seriously would you take a tomboy who's name is Isabella? I've long since outgrown that and my looks now really suit the original image of what an Isabella should look like, and now my nickname, Izzy, sounds a bit strange on me, so I'm on a search for a new one that is not Bella or Ella. I'm thinking about Lina, which I am already called by some of my family. Any ideas?

P.S. I'm sorry this turned into a bit of a rant....
    I like the idea of Isabella nn Elle, Sable, Abby, Isla perhaps?, Belle/Bells.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

I like my name, Catherine, because it has so much history: as a child there were always plenty of heroines and historical Catherines around and from many different countries. The down side is that being born in 1973 I was one of FIVE Catherine/Cathy/Catharine/Kathryns in my class and one girl at school even had the same surname. Plus it is common but still needs to be spelled every time - the worst of both worlds.

When I wanted to change it as a teenager my top choices were: Annette, Tracey, Perpetua

Glad I stuck with Catherine!

Well, I'm Katherine, called Kate. I love Kate. It is definitely the name version of me. I love that it's classy, ageless, and strong. It's a bit common, but that doesn't bother me. I don't identify so much with Katherine since I have never been called that. It's not my favorite name I guess.

My middle name is Br00ks. It's a family surname, but I always hated it because it is a boys name and Kate Br00ks does not flow at all, though it sounds ok with Katherine. I'm making my peace with Brooks now though. It's interesting though because Scott is another family surname that I would consider giving a girl as a middle name (a la Kristin Scott Thomas), but I would be doing the same thing to her that my mom did to me and resented her for! Ah well.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

My name's Chelsea. For a while, until I was around 16, I really didn't like it. I don't know why, I just didn't. In middle school, I would always change the spelling of it to make it look different. Looking back, that was really stupid! But now I do like my name. I was born in 1992, and according to the social security list, it was number 15 that year, but I really have not met many other Chelseas my age at all. I've met some girls that are a year or two older than me named Chelsea, but not really many that are my age. So even though my name was popular in my birth year, and in the few years before I was born, I still feel that it's a kind of uncommon name.

My middle name is Marie. I don't mind it. It's a little plain, but it goes with Chelsea, although saying the names together does sound a bit cutesy. My mom did say that she had a hard time finding a middle name, and in the end just went with Marie because she thought it sounded good. My name could be way worse though, so I'm not complaining.

Even though for a while I didn't like my name, I do now, and I definitely wouldn't change it. I can't see myself as anything but Chelsea!
    Chelsea
    just a 21 year old name nerd

Emma Catherine | Ella Rose | Olivia Claire | Grace Caroline | Ava Isobel
    Owen Jacob | Ronan Gabriel | William Levi | Evan Samuel | Henry Graham