Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for more advice on specific names

I'm back with some follow up questions! I had posted about my name list being totally different from my husband's and asked for some suggestions that might please us both. I like shorter, simpler names, and he likes longer, more popular/throwback to our generation-type names.

Mine are: Tessa, Eliza, Greta, Lucy, Clara

His are: Charlotte, Amelia, Genevieve, Valerie, Veronica, Vanessa, Alexandra, Eloise, Jessica, Elizabeth, Emily, Juliet

At this point I'm hoping maybe we can agree on Elizabeth nn Eliza, or Tessa will grow on him because of his love of Vanessa and their similarity. I do kind of like his suggestions of Juliet and maybe Genevieve (see question below).

Some questions about some of your recommendations:

Annika: How do you say this? Rhymes with Hannukah or Danica?
    Elisabeth: with this spelling, is the pronunciation basically the same as Elizabeth?
    Marina: what do you think of this name? I liked it a while back but took it off my list due to the association with boat docking - I thought people would find it odd for a name.
    Matilda: what do you think of this name? I don't like Mattie or Tilda for a nn. Is Tillie a good choice? Any others?
    Molly: I like this name but worry about its popularity and cutesy-ness. What do you think?
    Emilia: Is this basically pronounced the same as Amelia? Any nn options?
    Quinn: Is this too unisex to use? Also, with the last name K***ler, do you think it sounds strange and too repetitive with the hard "k" sounds?
    Genevieve: What would you use for a nn? I don't like the idea of Genny/Jenny or Evie. Maybe Genna?

Thanks again so much - you've all been a big help!
    DS - James Joseph, 11/7/10

DD - due 5/7/13! Possible names: Tessa, Eliza, Clara, Juliet, Genevieve, Charlotte

I always thought Annika rhymed with Danica, but I'm not sure. I think Elisabeth is pronounced the same as Elizabeth, but I prefer the Z myself. Plus, I picture her always having to correct the spelling. Marina is too boat-ish for me, but I love your short list of names! I was thinking that Vivi could be a cute nickname for Genevieve, but you might not like that because you don't love Evie. Genna would definitely work.
    Mama to Juno Elizabeth and twins Daphne Ramona and Luella Maeve.

Annika - I always thought it rhymed with Danica.
    Elisabeth - Same pronunciation.
    Marina - I'm a city girl so the boating association wouldn't be as strong for me. I do like it but I prefer Marian or Miriam.
    Matilda - Tilda is my favorite nickname with Tillie as a close second. I love Matilda it's perfectly vintage. Another nickname option could be Mimi.
    Molly - Too cutesy for my taste. I don't think it's too popular, judging from girls I know named Molly, but it is somewhat dated. Also, it's a slang term for marijuana.
    Emilia - It's pronounced pretty much the same way just with more of an 'E' instead of an 'A'. I personally prefer Amelia. Nickname options could be Emme, Amy, Mila, and Lia.
    Quinn - Too unisex for my taste but I do find 'Q' names interesting. I wouldn't find it too repetitive with your last name.
    Genevieve - What about just Eve? I think Genna could work, but it's not my favorite. I'd use Eve.
    Good luck,
    Leigh

Married to my high school sweetheart
    Mother to Charles Nathaniel aka Charlie [1.26.09]
    Baby due [3.17.13]

I think that compromise is key with naming! I love Eliza too, but would you be willing to have an Elizabeth nicknamed Eliza? To me that seems like a perfect way to keep both of you happy! I also think that Tessa could work as a nickname for Vanessa, especially if her middle name started with a "T". Juliet is a sweet little name as well, and I would keep it in your back pocket for now, along with Genevieve!

Annika- I've always pronounced it like "Danica".
    Elisabeth- Same pronounciation as "Elizabeth", but it kind of takes away the possibility of Eliza as a nickname, which wouldn't be fair to you.
    Marina- I read a book with a main character named Marina, and thought it was a beautiful name. I wouldn't discount it because of the boat association.
    Matilda- I love Matilda! And Tilly is a great nickname. I also think that Mia could work.
    Molly- It is a cute name, but matures well too! I honestly don't hear it all that much either, so I wouldn't worry about popularity.
    Emilia- Pronounced like Amelia! I actually prefer this spelling, and it makes the name unique without being weird. Emmy, Mia, Lily, and Lia are all nickname possibilities.
    Quinn- Not at all too unisex! I love it with both genders, and I honestly can't say that I prefer with one or the other. I also like alliterative names so I think that a Quinn Kessler (as an example) would be fine.
    Genevieve- I like Genna best! I'm stumped on other options though. Nicknames often come from the strangest of places though, so I wouldn't cross it off your list because you don't have one now.

Best of luck!

There should be many names that would appeal to both of you because you seem closer than you think

Marina is a lovely suggestion! Miranda and Tabatha came to mind for me... What about Viv for a nn of Genevieve?

What about Margo, Daphne, Camille, Zara, Gretchen, India, Jessamin, Mara, Carina, Sabine, Elaina, Gemma, Laurel?