Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sibset face-off

Sibset face-off

Ok, I'm narrowing in here. Posting in the girls' section, because most of my worries are about the girls' names, but it's really a sibset issue. Last name is similar to "Garden." Not sure how many kids we'll have. Probably only one or two, though I'd love to name my own Von Trapp family. If we have two boys, maybe Crispin Wythe and Ywen Marsh?
    I've got two possible sibsets emerging:

Mab Margaret (Margaret for my favorite aunt)
    Imogen Solace (nickname Ginger. I just discovered Solace. Wonderful word, love the sound, feels so old-fashioned.)
    Clement Ywen (nickname Cy for C.Y. initials. Ywen would honor my father indirectly. As would Wythe- below.)

PROS: Mab and Imogen feel well-balanced in this set. I adore the two virtue names, very much a tradition in my family. Ywen is a favorite.
    CONS: If I only have one daughter, I will probably want to honor Margaret, and may miss out on Ginger.

Imogen Margaret (nickname Ginger)
    Mab Muriel (Muriel is my great grandmother's name, maybe more graceful than Margaret with Mab?)
    Crispin Wythe or Crispin Henry (nickname Cy for C.Y-heavy mn. Many generations of Henries in my family)

PROS: I love zippy Crispin, which honors my grandma. Imogen Margaret is very complete and gets me to Ginger with first daughter.
    CONS: Imogen Margaret is complete, but a bit... old-lady (not edgy-puritan-old-lady coolness like Imogen Solace?) DH really likes Crispin but isn't wild about Wythe or Henry. Rejects all other Y-names that might get us to nickname Cy, which we love.

Your opinions are much appreciated! I am putting the cart before the horse but I crave cognitive closure. :-b
    PS- I know Mab and Ginger raise some eyebrows, but I'm attached to them both.
    PPS- I told DH I was worried about his side of the family not being represented as much in our names, though he did come up with beautiful Crispin and Mab, and loves all Shakespearean names. He said, "They'll have my last name!" So generous.

I prefer Imogen Solace to Imogen Margaret. How do you pronounce Ywen?
    Giselle Lydia Chiara Darcy Lowri Cleo Nova Fleur Noelle Giovanna Mathilde Flora Susannah Maia Jude David Rueben Theo Raphael Arthur Lance Vinny Marcus James Rowan Henry Christopher

Thanks Eve! It's "YU-wen" like Ewan McGregor, but less squashy-looking with this spelling imo. Means yew tree in Welsh (I'm largely Welsh.)

Wow, these are stunning! I knew from seeing some of your posts that you had great taste, but these just take the biscuit I think I prefer the first set because Imogen Solace is perfection, plus I love the contrast between amazingly refreshing, spritely Mab and classic Margaret. Also loving Clement Ywen as a way to reach beloved Cy, and I definitely know what you mean about Ywen being less squashy than Ewan. Great meaning, too.

Imogen Solace vs Imogen Margaret - Although both are lovely, I definitely prefer Imogen Solace to Imogen Margaret. Imogen Solace has a sort of pure, lacy vibe with an awesome edgy kick, especially with the nn Ginger. Imogen Margaret feels safer, and lacks the quirkiness of the Solace combo.

Mab Margaret vs Mab Muriel - Really love the alliteration of both Mab Margaret and Mab Muriel, but I think Margaret is more grounding and gives the name more solidity and substance than Muriel. I like the classic feel of Margaret here, rather than the more clunky vintage feel I get from Muriel. I understand wanting an elegant name to go with Mab, but I actually see Margaret as more elegant than Muriel (call me strange, haha).

Clement Ywen vs Crispin Wythe/Henry - This is difficult, as I get great but fairly different imagery from all three options here. Clement Ywen is sunny and zesty, with green and earthy tones. I picture a pretty grove of trees with rich leafy colours and clear skies. Crispin Wythe sounds like an intelligent, bookish little boy who has magical adventures (please excuse my fanciful imagery, these names have really captured my imagination). Crispin Henry I see as a smart, fashionable student with an arty streak, always carrying a notebook and a cup of coffee. I think (think) my favourite is Clement Ywen, possibly because with Crispin there's always an annoying voice at the back of my mind whispering "crispy Crispin", although it's a hard one to call.

I hope some of that makes sense and is of any kind of use to you :P The slightly artsy, slightly old-fashioned vibe these names have is just delightful - I really don't think you can go wrong!
    W h a t ' s . . .

Rose | Matilda | Clara | Selah| Alberta | Iris
    Edmund | Wilfred | Asa | Felix | Leander

. . . n e x t ?

Oh, I forgot to add that Mab, Imogen and Clement are truly adorable together
    W h a t ' s . . .

Rose | Matilda | Clara | Selah| Alberta | Iris
    Edmund | Wilfred | Asa | Felix | Leander

. . . n e x t ?