Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Girl:
    Judith Evelyn Ackers (Judy) - I think Judith is coming back in style, but it's still enough out of style to make me hesitant to recommend it. I have to ask myself, "Would I want to be named Judith nn Judy?" No. Definitely no.
    Julie Evelyn Ackers - Cute. Julia would match your classic style better.
    Miriam Evelyn Ackers - Very cute!! I like it.
    Annabel Evelyn Ackers (Annie) - Annabel is by FAR my favorite, but it doesn't flow with Evelyn Ackers. Annabel Ackers is very nice, however.
    Elizabeth Evelyn Ackers - I love Elizabeth, but not with the middle name Evelyn.

Boy:
    1. Theodore (Awesome!)
    2. William (Classic!)
    3. John (What's not to love?)

** If you give your son Evelyn as a middle name, he will surely resent it. It's not worth it. Try to find a more masculine variation to honor your family members.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate

For your girls-- try to think of flow both with Evelyn, Evelyn Ackers, and just Ackers. For all, I think you need a name that starts and ends on a consonant sound, since that's a lot of vowels (and vowels really flow into each other).

That leaves Judith and Miriam, which are by far the most distinctive and interesting names on your list. I really seeing classic, underused Judith, btw, but Miriam (esp nn Miri or Miro) is very sweet too. Ideally, you'd select a 2-syllable name to balance 3-syllable Evelyn. Therefore, for style, sound and meter, my vote goes unambiguously to Judith Evelyn Ackers.

For the boys-- same idea. I wouldn't select a name that ends on a vowel sound, such as Timothy, as it crashes into both Evelyn and Ackers. Since you pronounce the male Evelyn with only 2 syllables (in your family's case, EHV-lyn), I'd pick a 3-syllable first name. That leaves you with Theodore and William. It's a tough decision! On the one hand, Theodore is a little more interesting and uncommon than William, with a cool-guy nickname in the form of Theo. But Theodore ends with an -er sound, as does Ackers. William on the other hand is liquid and works so beautifully with your surname. On balance, I'd pick William Evelyn Ackers.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I really like your naming style! The girl picks are classic, yet quirky, and the boy picks are strong, handsome names! So in that respect, you really can't go wrong! Here are my thoughts:

Judith- I only have positive things to say about this name, as it's my aunt's. She is the kindest, most generous person I have ever met, and I smile when I hear or see the name. Judy is a sweet little nickname too!
    Julie- I can't say that I like nicknames as firstnames. Why not name her Julia and call her Julie?
    Miriam- Such an elegant name! I love it, but I don't find that it flows best with your surname or Evelyn.
    Annabel- This name is so popular right now, but I adore it all the same! I love the alliteration, and Annie is a cute nickname.
    Elizabeth- Love, love, love! There is so much you can do with this name! It's perfect for all personalities and is a timeless classic.

John- One of my favorite names for a little boy. Currently loving Johnny as a nickname, which sounds great with your surname!
    Theodore- So sweet, yet grown up at the same time. Teddy is my favorite nickname for Theodore!
    Timothy- Can't say that I like this one. It just sounds wimpy to me, which is weird, because the only Timothy I know is 6"5 and as muscular as the Hulk...
    Robert- I like this name too! And I love Bobby as a nickname.
    William- Another favorite of mine! Love!

1. Annabel
    2. Elizabeth
    3. Judith
    4. Julie
    5. Miriam

1. John
    2. William
    3. Theodore
    4. Robert
    5. Timothy

Best of luck!

Girl:
    Judith Evelyn Ackers (Judy) - I think this is my favourite. I know someone upthread asked "would YOU want to be named Judith NN Judy" and in my case, I would. It has tons of history and weight, isn't too common, and Judy gives it a rockabilly feel akin to Betty. I love Elizabeth but its comparatively common.
    Julie Evelyn Ackers - Dislike. Find Julie cutesy and nickname-ish and likely to get called Joolz anyway.
    Miriam Evelyn Ackers - I think of Miriam and Judith being the same background and generation, and I like the NN Mira/Miri, but I don't find Miriam as pleasing a sound as Judith, and I like the -th ending. Miriam Evelyn has that strange clunky m/n assonance. It's not bad though. I agree with Blade it'd be my top two for girls though.
    Annabel Evelyn Ackers (Annie) - I love Annabel but Annabel Evelyn goes all strange when I say it, Annabe Levelin', Anna Belleleven, etc. I'm not fond of Annie, either.
    Elizabeth Evelyn Ackers - Very, very vowelly, as much as I usually like Elizabeth.

Boy:
    On the boy's side its between just two names for me.
    John Evelyn Ackers - Like.
    and
    William Evelyn Ackers

I find John ironically less popular than William (by quite a bit here, don't know about where you are) and very distinctively male to ground Evelyn. William is astoundingly popular here for boys AND Willa/Willow are big for girls and I just find it sort of... not bad, but... I think I would go with John.

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    For your girls-- try to think of flow both with Evelyn, Evelyn Ackers, and just Ackers. For all, I think you need a name that starts and ends on a consonant sound, since that's a lot of vowels (and vowels really flow into each other).

That leaves Judith and Miriam, which are by far the most distinctive and interesting names on your list. I really seeing classic, underused Judith, btw, but Miriam (esp nn Miri or Miro) is very sweet too. Ideally, you'd select a 2-syllable name to balance 3-syllable Evelyn. Therefore, for style, sound and meter, my vote goes unambiguously to Judith Evelyn Ackers.

For the boys-- same idea. I wouldn't select a name that ends on a vowel sound, such as Timothy, as it crashes into both Evelyn and Ackers. Since you pronounce the male Evelyn with only 2 syllables (in your family's case, EHV-lyn), I'd pick a 3-syllable first name. That leaves you with Theodore and William. It's a tough decision! On the one hand, Theodore is a little more interesting and uncommon than William, with a cool-guy nickname in the form of Theo. But Theodore ends with an -er sound, as does Ackers. William on the other hand is liquid and works so beautifully with your surname. On balance, I'd pick William Evelyn Ackers.
    Yes and yes. I have to agree with these recommendations for good flow and balance. Judith and William work best.
    Adela, Beatrice, Berthe, Beryl, Calliope, Celeste, Cleo, Evangeline, Grete, Guinevere, Isadora, Ivanna, Leonie, Lilac, Lisette, Lucienne, Maelle, Marilla, Marisol, Mathilde, Maude, Melina, Ottoline, Paulina, Pascale, Rosalind, Sibyl, Tatiana, Xanthe, Yulia, Zara, Zinnia.
    Alasdair, Alcott, Anders, Augustine, Barnaby, Benoit, Desmond, Eliot, Evander, Felix, Gilbert, Graham, Hugo, Jonah, Julian, Kyrill, Leif, Lev, Malcolm, Maxfield, Morgan, Montgomery, Orion, Orlando, Pascal, Rhys, Roman