Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    The kid makes the name; the name doesn't make the kid! Teach your child to love his/her name and to be proud of it!

I say go for it.

I can't imagine any way that a Vanessa would be teased or looked down upon for her name. Quite the contrary... Vanessa Clair is a gorgeous name!!
    Mother of three teenagers: (1) Daniel Glen, (2) Timothy Austin, and (3) Rebecca Jane. All middle names honor family, with Jane used three generations in a row. (A second girl would have been Susanna Eve.

In a way, a dated name may work to one's advantage. Imagine you named your daughter Brenda and years down the line, little Brenda is all grown up and fresh out of college, ready to start her career. As prospective employers peruse the application pool, they may see a dated name and think she's older, maybe even has more experience.

As a general rule - but especially with names that are generally looked down upon - if you love a name, by all means, go for it.
    ~Favorites of the moment~

Girls: Sonya, Caroline, Sakura, Carmilla, Terra
    Boys: Conrad, Fain, Marcelo, Serge, Isidoro

Vote on my name list!

I also grew up with a "dated" name, and I don't think it's had much or any affect on my life. My name, Margaret, peaked in popularity in about 1920. Growing up, I only knew a couple of older kids with the same name as me, and no one younger (I think Ms. Thatcher had something to do with that). I did get a lot of, "Oh, my great aunt is named Margaret," which annoyed me, but others on here were annoyed growing up with six Jessicas in the class, or at having to spell their unusual names, so you really can't win! I think a kid often goes through a period of resenting his/her name no matter what it is. No one ever teased me for having an "old lady name". Now that I'm an adult, I love having such a classic name with many historical and literary namesakes. All that said, go with Vanessa if you love it. It doesn't really seem dated to me anyway.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Quote Originally Posted by maggiefromcanada View Post
    I also grew up with a "dated" name, and I don't think it's had much or any affect on my life. My name, Margaret, peaked in popularity in about 1920. Growing up, I only knew a couple of older kids with the same name as me, and no one younger (I think Ms. Thatcher had something to do with that). I did get a lot of, "Oh, my great aunt is named Margaret," which annoyed me, but others on here were annoyed growing up with six Jessicas in the class, or at having to spell their unusual names, so you really can't win! I think a kid often goes through a period of resenting his/her name no matter what it is. No one ever teased me for having an "old lady name". Now that I'm an adult, I love having such a classic name with many historical and literary namesakes. All that said, go with Vanessa if you love it. It doesn't really seem dated to me anyway.

That is very true, too - I hated my name for a while as a kid and I know A LOT of other people who did as well. It was either too common, too weird, they didn't like the spelling, didn't fit their personality - and I knew people with names ranging from Enza to Jessica who felt this way.