Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I agree with blade, east93, and flick!
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by mge28 View Post
    I don't think we should be nasty to them, like I've seen some people do (*cough* blade *cough*). Because what if the "troll" turns out to be an honest post? I do think we should politely tell them that trolling isn't very funny, and we should only do that if we have proof that they're lying.
    When has it happened that we accused someone without reasonable doubt and been wrong? Cause based on my record, that's never happen. Everyone that's been called out, we've had enough reason to believe they're lying, and has miraculously just stopped posting.

It's not that hard to find out if someone's lying regarding pregnancies. Especially if they state that they're not pregnant just looking for names for the years to come in one thread, then two days later they're pregnant with twin girls.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by mge28 View Post
    I don't think we should be nasty to them, like I've seen some people do (*cough* blade *cough*). Because what if the "troll" turns out to be an honest post? I do think we should politely tell them that trolling isn't very funny, and we should only do that if we have proof that they're lying.
    If they end up being honest then you apologize and move on but how many do you actually think are being honest?

Let's endeavor to be honest and forthright without being nasty. The many devoted people on this board who give such fantastic name advice so generously are extremely valuable to us, and to the many visitors who come here legitimately seeking opinions on names. I hate to see their time and knowledge taken advantage of by people who are faking their situations. But I also hate to see too much energy expended on arguing over the fakery or among ourselves. If in doubt, report suspected fakes to us or mention our names in your comments to give us a heads up (mine and Linda's, not Hugh's as he's busy with the engineering and not the editorial side of the site).

At the risk of repeating myself, I would say be respectful but direct in calling out fakes as you are in giving legitimate advice. A lot of people respond to threads without reading all the comments, so you can very persuasively call out a fake and then three comments later, someone will blythely answer the original question. At that point, I say, just let it go. You've made your point and those who are conscientious readers of the thread and who agree with you will abandon the thread. If things get weird, just let us know. Thanks.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Roger that Pam. I really like the way you spell blithely "blythely." That's the sign of someone who is so focused on names that they start overtaking her vocabulary. I will endeavor (in ernest) to be respectful with these charlotte-annes.