Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help narrowing down our list

Berries- I need your input.

My wife and I are the proud parents of two children who joined our family via adoption, and we're in the process of adopting baby number three. We are requesting an African-American girl, to join her African-American big sister and her African-American and Puerto Rican big brother. Our current children's names are Savannah Harper and Miles Desmond. Savannah got her first name from her birthmother, and while it wouldn't have been our first choice, we loved the nickname Savvy. It's grown on us since then and now we can't picture her as anything but a Savannah. Harper was a nod to Harper Lee, the author of my favorite book. Miles came to us with a different name, but since it was the male version of my wife's name we changed it to Miles- which fits him perfectly. Desmond was a nod to Desmond Tutu who is a personal hero of ours. For this next baby we've narrowed it down to the few options we both agree on (which is no small task- I like about 100 names, while my wife agrees on just these).

The options:
    Coretta (nickname Cora)- this is our current favorite, as it is a nod to another of our heroes- Coretta Scott King... though I fear it sounds a little dated, and a little like Loretta. Also not a HUGE fan of the hard "C" sound since our other two have "softer" names

Juniper- we like this name (with nickname June) but I worry it doesn't fit with the others or that it's too out there for some family members

Tenaya- (nickname Naya) we like this one because it's a nod to Tenaya Lake in Yosemite, which is our favorite place in the world. If there are any other Yosemite place names anyone can suggest that aren't impractical (ie. Wawona, Ahwahnee, etc.) we're open

Magnolia- (nickname Nola) I like this one a lot, but am a little worried that Nola is close to "Nona"- which is what my mom goes by with my kids. My wife worries that people would use "Maggie" as the nickname and that the child would be teased with a gay slur that rhymes with Mag since she'd have two moms... I think kids will always find something to tease a kid about

Zahara- (nickname Zia or Ari) One of our original favorites, but I worry about the Jolie-Pitt association since this child would be adopted as well.

I'm open to suggestions of any other names in a similar vein. Our last name is B@iley-G@rdner, in case that influences your choice(s). Thank you!!

Congratulations on your new addition!

I Savannah and Magnolia both have a Southern flair to them so I'm going with Magnolia.
    Good luck,
    Leigh

Married to my high school sweetheart
    Mother to Charles Nathaniel aka Charlie [1.26.09]
    Baby due [3.17.13]

Coretta nn Cora - I like this and I don't think it is dated in the same way as Loretta, because its never been really popular like Loretta was. In fact, Coretta was only in the top 1000 in 1968-70. It's a great namesake. I do see what you mean about the hard sound - but I think the more I say it, the less noticeable it is. I don't think its a dealbreaker at all.

Juniper - I love this one and think it actually goes great with your other names. Juniper might be a little out there for some family members, but then June is very traditional so that might balance it out.

Tenaya - I feel like this one doesn't go with your other childrens' names as well

Magnolia - I like this, but not nearly as much as Coretta or Juniper. Nola and Nona are a little close.

Zahara - I immediately think Jolie-Pitt with this name

Savannah and Magnolia are perfect! Maggie , or Nola are both sweet. Juniper is also great, or Junia. I love Cora, not sure about your other choices.

Congrats! We're in process but keeping our daughters given name of Sena. Working on middles since I'm such a name nerd :-)
    *Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/
    Liliana Wren/ Georgiana Snow/ Eugenie Marigold*

*Osias Grey/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn/
    Jasper August/ *

Coretta by a mile! Savannah, Miles, and Coretta sound so wonderful together . You could also use Etta as the NN as a more softer option since you have concern about the hard C. I think Coretta Tenaya would be a beautiful combo especially since both names have special meaning to you. Good Luck!

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names