Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WDYT of the name Andre

I have mixed feelings about this name. I pronounce it ON-Dray. I don't know which country this is from (would someone like to infrom me?).
    I do like the nn Dre (Dray)

Would you pronounce it this way? Do you think it's usable?

ALSO I've seen it with an accent - Andrè/é. What are your thoughts

It's not a bad name. NMS, but very usable. One of those names that's well recognized without being overly common (it's been in the top 1000 most common names since 1880 and currently is the #241). I think that accent mark is used in France and Portugal (maybe elsewhere also), but I don't think it'd be necessary to use. As far as it's origins, this is the Portugese/French (and common in English) variant of the Greek name Ανδρεας (Andreas), which is also where the name Andrew comes from, and means "man" or "of a man".
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

I ADORE Andre. I grew up watching the movie Andre with my sisters, a film based on a true story about a little girl who "adopts" a seal and calls him Andre but finally sets him free. I think the name is exotic, refined, and would be DARLING on a little boy but but would suit a man perfectly as well.

I want to like it but can never quite get past the André the Giant association with this name...
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*

I live in a small french/english community in Canada, and Andre is fairly common here. It is actually my brother in law's name. People use the accent here, but we mostly pronounce it Ahn-dray/On-dray. There is also a feminine version here that is used, Andree. It is pronounced the same way, but is spelled with an extra E at the end. I have always like the name.