Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thank you alzora! Reverie was the real surprise this time around...to me she's such a dreamy, blue-and-green, Impressionistic sort of name...it never crossed my mind that she could be perceived as someone with so much Fire energy! I'm also intrigued by your description of Tifareth. To me she's one of the more edgy, exotic names, but your bookish description of her is perfectly charming

Thanks again for your feedback!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Daranya - Russian, no-nonsense, doesn’t suffer fools.
    Delphine - I imagine someone who’s elegant in a very French way - not trying too hard, wears scarves well. Smart, but not showily so.
    Eirene - I think her as kind of silvery, mysterious, a pre-Raphaelite swan. But also substantial and present in her eyes.
    Elentari - Heard outside of Tolkien, this one doesn’t feel nameish to me, so it’s hard to place. I think I see a tall, pale girl with long fingers.
    Elowen - Kind, a calm strong voice, a beautiful face worn by spending time outdoors. Very self-sufficient and comfortable in her skin.
    Faerydae - I want to say a Goth girl with piercings and a grim outlook, but I just can’t picture that kind of Faerydae. Can you?
    Faline - I knew a Faline. Well, a Faylin actually. Vegan parents, lots of allergies. Fussy.
    Farasha - Charming, with a flashing smile, sometimes ferocious.
    Gwyneira - This girl is trouble. She and Tinuviel got into a bottle of Madeira while you were away, then put on your best dresses and took the neighbor’s doe-eyed son down to the lake...
    Illyria - A dancer. A traveler. Shaved her head once to downplay her extraordinary beauty, wears men’s shirts and big shoes.
    Lirael - Has six kids and a broken down trampoline in the front yard.
    Melusine - Reads voraciously. Dark hair. A good friend, quiet, sometimes goes by Lucy. Collects improbable things.
    Namine - Gamine. Doesn’t take life too seriously. Street-smart, whistles fluently, unpredictable.
    Nephele - Very caring, a bit shaky emotionally. Blonde, runny nose.
    Niviera - Tight jeans and attitude. Manipulative as a teenager, funny and cool as an adult.
    Oriel - Innocent, cheerful, always wears yellow gingham and eats lots of marmalade. No, actually, she’s serious, grounded. I guess it’s a versatile name, because I can picture her in many ways.
    Reverie - She hasn’t had enough difficulties in life. She has beautiful skin, careful habits and lots of plants that she nurtures, but she lacks strong relationships.
    Satia or Satya - A journalist. Can talk you under the table and has a great laugh.
    Senara - A cellist. A little hard to get to know, but very connected and expressive through music.
    Seraphine or Serafina - Complex, a trier, a seeker. Loves learning, very alert and engaged.
    Soraya - Warm and gentle. Unambitious, in the best way. Wide open face, loves animals.
    Serenity - I keep wanting to imagine Serenity as a really hyper kid, chain-drinking cans of Coke.
    Tifareth - Spry, spritely, sharp. Likes tricks and numbers.
    Tinuviel - See Gwyneira. Trouble. In a good way.
    Virelai - A force of nature. Earnest and joyful. Strawberry blonde hair and freckles, knows how to sail a boat, speaks four languages. Her work is intensely demanding and she’s incredibly generous, never gets tired.

Emms!!! Omg you are officially my hero! I can't believe you tackled all of them!

I'm in stitches over your portrayal of Gwyneira and Tinuviel, they sound like Anne and Diana with the raspberry cordial. I love it. On the one hand I can't see Faerydae as a hardcore goth...but then I think of Kenzi from Lost Girl and suddenly I can totally picture it! And I have to say, you blew me out of the water with Melusine nn Lucy! The idea had never occurred to me, and I'm wild about it.

I see what you mean about Elentari being less name-y. I may have to rethink her. I'm also wavering on Delphine, Nephele, and occasionally even Reverie, just because she gets such mixed reviews.

Love your portrayals of Eirene, Elowen, Farasha, Satia/Satya, Senara, Seraphine/Serafina, Soraya, Tifareth, and Virelai. Did I mention that you're awesome!

Thanks for giving me so much food for thought!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

I'll start with the disclaimer that although I think this is fun, I am slightly more... concrete than many other nameberry regulars and don't do well with the "this name reminds me of raspberries" or "this name feels orange" sorts of threads.

Daranya: She's the child of two unimaginative narcissistic parents called Darrell and Tanya, who thought her name was the height of creative cleverness. She grew up in an exurb in Texas in a house with plaid wallpaper and little rugs around the toilets.

Delphine: I know two in real life; one is a doctor, member of the first class of women admitted to Columbia University, and renowned for her excellent bedside manner. The other is a small girl in a disgustingly, filthy, obscenely rich family in San Francisco who lives in one of those gorgeous castles on Nob Hill. Her bedroom has already been photographed for 2 leading shelter magazines.

Eirene: either a Greek girl in Astoria, studious and dutiful. Otherwise the daughter of two parents who are professional scholars of something delightfully arcane, like classical epigraphy. She's dreamy and brainy and will make her living by her wits.

Elentari: she goes by Ellen and is extremely embarrassed that her parents participate in Live Action Role Playing games on the weekends.

Elowen: dreamy, ethereal, candyfloss hair, yet with a serious scholarly edge beneath the downy surface.

Faerydae: she goes by Bella. On the first day of school, when her name is called out, she grits her teeth and says "Present! I go by Bella!" while secretly counting down the days till she's 18 and can change her name.

Faline: She's Faline out of school, leaving her no recourse except to prostitute herself as a Faline woman. Fortunately, she's fond of cats and other faline creatures; her name is actually "Celine" but she was just punched in the mouth and has difficulty enunciating.

Farasha: darling girl who wore a hijab and you suddenly found married her cousin when she was 16, thus explaining her dropping out of school.

Gwyneira: writes angsty poetry while mountaineering ropeless. Drums in a punk band but also studies Latin.

Illyria: pre-Raphaelite nymph frolicking in a shaded glen

Lirael: Never read the book her mom just *adored*

Melusine: wears long skirts to cover that pesky serpent body

Namine: isn't that the point of this website?

Nephele: bookish, shy daughter of an atmospheric scientist and a classicist. Hates high school and can't wait till she starts at her top college where she'll finally make friends. You'll read her pieces in the New Yorker someday.

Niviera: what her dad said the morning after his drinking binge in Cap Antibes. Oops! Too bad, she's already on the way!

Oriel: suffused with a faint patina reminiscent of tempura paints and parchment. Loves wilderness trekking and madrigals.

Reverie: middle class airhead whose mother proudly says she "spoils her rotten." Her dad calls her "princess" in an approving manner. She has a screechy voice and if you accidentally eavesdrop on one of her interminable conversations with her friends while at the mall you actually feel your IQ points melting away. She thinks Abercrombie and Gap are high fashion and, when she grows up, will be way into conspicuous consumption. She's the person for whom "economy luxury sedans" and fake Louis Vuitton bags were designed.

Satia or Satya: sweet, dutiful daughter of two extraodinarily hard-working people who own a Subway franchise. She has no choice but to become a doctor. If white-- daughter of people trying desperately to reincarnate the 70s. There might or might not be drum circles in the house.

Senara: unobtrusive, observant, sunny girl. As lovely as the legends surrounding her name.

Seraphine or Serafina: tempestuous dark-haired girl who is dramatic, emotional, and fascinating.

Soraya: daughter of a wealthy Persian family whose roots in the Iranian upper classes stretch back into antiquity. Her manners are extremely refined; she speaks several languages fluently; her home is full of spicy woods and priceless antiquities. She is an ophthalmologist but only desultorily; her family's real estate investments make working a pleasure rather than a necessity.

Serenity: she weighs about 250 lbs and is stuffed into stained pale pink Juicy Couture sweats that show every dimple on her thighs. Her hair is slicked back in a greasy ponytail and she watches a lot of anime. if she could lose 100 lbs, she'd start dancing at the Kitty Kat down near the interstate, but as it is she stays in the trailer and watches her sister's kids during the day.

Tifareth: she was named for her mom's World of Warcraft character. She's a B-C student and wants to study marketing when she graduates. She likes hanging out with her friends and that guy Aidan in 3rd hour English. She's on the JV cheerleading squad and her favorite book is Harry Potter.

Tinuviel: fiercely independent and a free spirit. Enjoys amateur astronomy, playing the viola, and long lonely walks with her dog and her thoughts.

Virelai: daughter of two poets who have actually published. Teased at her good private school as "virile" and "virulent," but shrugged it off.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Delphine - Impossibly thin French woman. I picture pale ash-brown hair that is almost blond but very cold, gray eyes, and exquisite bone structure.

Elowen - I picture a meld of Arwen and Eowyn from LOTR, so regal and powerful but also a bit faery-like. Pre-Raphaelite and romanticized, not as grubby/gritty as true Medieval. Her hair could be light or dark, curly or straight, but its incredibly long, waist-length at least.

Gwyneira - Black hair, blue eyes, a gothic-infused retelling of the Snow White story basically. I do love this name.