Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do you think of Dean?

I started watching Supernatural recently, and Jensen Ackles has made me consider the name Dean in a whole new light. I realize Dean won't be everyone's cup of tea, but in general what do you think of the name? How do you think it would wear on a guy who doesn't slay monsters? I'm sort of just wanting to get a feel for how Dean is perceived, because it's a name I never see brought up on Nameberry. I'm in the US, if that sways opinions.

Thanks!

Also wanted to add: Dean is currently #284 in the US, with 1230 births in 2011. Anyone else surprised that it ranks that high?
    Last edited by southern.maple; January 7th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Dean ◊ Micah ◊ Gideon ◊ Tobias ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Edith ◊ Georgia ◊ Gwen ◊ Catherine ◊ Lydia ◊ Phoebe

I'm not surprised at all. Dean seems very current and sturdy, always under the radar but very cool. I always loved it because of Gilmore Girls, but then I met a Dean who sort of made it not-so-appealing, but I still find it very sturdy and timeless and down-to-earth. I would love meeting a cute little Dean.
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

I think Dean is a great name, it has a very cool vibe, especially with the James Dean connection
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

All of the connections for Dean are pretty awesome, in my opinion. Like people said- Gilmore Girls, James Dean, Supernatural. It's very masculine and sturdy, like ash said above. I'm a bit partial to it because of Jensen Ackles' character, but even without that, I think it's a handsome, solid name.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Girls: Seraphine, Kristabel, Magdalena, Shiloh, Opal, Jobie, Calla, Seeley, Noelle, Mara, Lucille

Boys: Robin, Gabriel, Mackenzie, Nash, Phillip, Raphael, Edmund, Abraham, Lewis, Pierce, Link

Current Crushes: Mackie and Devlin

I agree with you; I am surprised it ranks that high! If I heard the name, I would assume an older man initially, but I LOVE Dean on a baby! It is very charming, timeless, and recognizable. I think others may be beginning to think that it's time for a comeback for Dean, too (possibly why it is #284, I mean)