Names Searched Right Now:

sibling name pattern

My boys are John Paul Christopher and Graham Jacob Michael. They both have one syllable first names and two middle. Is this a pattern I should stick with for future children? Does gender make a difference as to whether of not I should keep the pattern? And are there any other patterns you see in my boys

I would definitely not stick with a pattern. In my view, while giving your children names which are similar in terms of style (John & Graham as opposed to John & Kenyon) makes sense, naming them according to a pattern ties you down and comes across as tacky.
    Last edited by araminta; January 10th, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
    Eliza + Beatrix + Constance + Romilly + Clementine + Freya + Mabel + Agnes + Betty + Margot
    Felix + Ivo + Calloway + Walter + Linus + Otto + August + Hugo + Zebedee + Rollo + Phineas

I think I'd keep the three names and the style, but I wouldn't worry about the syllable pattern. So, Charlotte Anne Helene would be fine, for example. Like araminta I wouldn't stray stylistically too far--Harlow Savannah Dove jars against the more traditional names of your boys.
    Obsessing over names since 1964

Since you've used wonderful classic names for your children thus far, I'd recommend continuing that trend with future children--to me, style is most important. I think it would be nice to use three names for every child, but don't think it's necessary. It's totally okay (and perhaps even recommended to veer from single syllable names. A mixture of one to two syllable names would pair very nicely together (for instance, Henry and David would fit well with your boys' names). I think you have a little more leeway with the lengths of girls' names, as long as they fit stylistically with John and Graham (so an Elizabeth or Madeline would fit in nicely).