Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Emrys

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    I think in Wales it is pronounced em-REESE. Myrddin Emrys is the Welsh variant of the name Merlinus Ambrosius.
    According to my Welsh friend:

Myrddin Emrys = mer-thin em-ress (the 'th' sound is like the start of the word 'the' rather than 'thought')
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I love it!

Thanks for responses everyone...

Sparrowfinch- Yeah, I also discovered this link to Merlin, but I had never realized this connection until I actually was doing name research, so my assumption is that the vast majority of other people won't know this either.

Emmabo- You asked about top five, they are: Emrys, Caius, Amias, Caian and Kian (Ansel, Saul, Darius, Emmett and Conrad filling up the top 10)

Blade- I was wondering if it may be pronounced like that, but from everything I can discover it seems to be more like em-riss or em-ress. It seems that the y sound in Welsh has different pronunciation based on what its together with, so Rhys = Reese, but Rys = Riss. I think. I'm not expert, but that's what it seems to say on different pronunciation sites I found

Renrose- Thanks for letting me know how your Welsh friend pronounces it! Definitely want to be pronouncing it correctly if we use it. I'm wondering if the way you wrote it, em-ress, and the way I had written it earlier, em-riss, are the same pronunciation? They seem to me to be pretty close to identical pronunciations, but maybe there is a subtle difference I'm missing?

One more important point to mention.
    Do you think it'd be strange to choose Emrys for our second sons name if our first son's middle name is Rees (same pronunciation as Rhys/Reese/Reece, we choose this spelling variation because of many generations of family history)?