Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A sister for Wyatt. Need names! Help!

I am 37 1/2 weeks pregnant and we are still undecided on a name. I would like a name that flows well with Wyatt and our last name Jermaine (not the exact spelling but same pronunciation). So far the only names we can agree on are:
    -Lauren, I'm afraid it is gaining popularity
    -Caralyn, I like this spelling but am afraid people will pronounce it Car-Ah and not Care-Ah. If you saw this spelling how would you pronounce it? Would we be better off spelling it with a K?

We would love any suggestions. Names that I love but my husband doesn't like are Nora, Lydia, Josephine and Abigail. My husband liked Zoe and Avery. He likes modern and popular names and I tend to like the opposite. We would love to find a happy medium. Wyatt's middle names are French so we are open to French names. We have agreed on the middle name Joy.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Well, with an older brother named Wyatt and an awesome last name like Jermaine, this baby girl of yours will be just fine.

Lauren: Lauren isn't gaining popularity, she already has it. Lauren has been in the top 25 since the 80s and is just starting to trend off now. I was born in the Lauren era and I knew about 5 in high school. They all had to go by their last initials. Even though Lauren has a soft, feminine sound, I would advise against it because I think it will end up being a trend. A well-deserved trend, but a trend nonetheless. Laura, on the other hand, is a classic and never goes out of style. Although, actually,I just checked and it's WAY down in popularity for the first time in decades right now.

Caralyn: The spelling I'm familiar with is Carolyn. Most of the Carolyn's I know are in their 50s. Caralyn does make it fresher. I would stay away from K. Caralyn will be pronounced just fine. It's not my favorite (I tend to like traditional names, as you seem to). I think I like Cara better.

French names mixed with modern/vintage names:
    Genevieve (so pretty)
    Georgia (This name sounds vintage (for you) but is just becoming popular now (for him)).
    Willa (I like this because Willa Cather was a Western writer so Willa matches Wyatt's cowboy charm)
    Britta
    Ada (very trendy, but old)
    Lyla (fresher than Lauren?)
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Thanks so much for the input and suggestions. I like Genevieve, Georgia, Willa and Lyla but DH turned them all down.

Lauren is pleasant but not rare. It's nice and sweet but if popularity bothers you I might avoid it. It's in a similar boat as a favourite of mine, Emily... which has been so popular for so long you'll hear it a lot on babies and on their mothers, too.

Laurel might be an option? Natural, sweet, a bit more unexpected than Lauren or Laura?

I'm very fond of Caroline - which admittedly is not exciting or astoundingly of-the-moment, but is very classic - but I'm afraid I find most -lyn names rather trendy and used-and-abused. Caralyn is nicer than some but I'd be tempted to, in that case, saw Cara free of the -lyn to keep it from getting mixed in with the Ashlyn/Madelyn/Kaitlyn/Gracelyn/Amberlyn/Jennalyn/Kaelyn/Brooklyns of the moment.

Other ideas:
    Giselle
    Claire
    Coralie, Coraline, Carolina
    Georgiana
    Catherine - Classic, so not surprising/fresh sounding, but never out either. The C spelling is the French option, I believe.
    Annabel, Mirabel, Rosabel - a -bel/-belle name to appease your DH's love of the popular, that is more unexpected than Isabella.
    Bryony, Jessamy, Naomi/Noemie, Ione - Unexpected -ee ending names that might appeal to your DH, who seems to love them, but which have historic/romatic roots.

Link to someone else's blog on Jessamy. http://nookofnames.com/2011/10/05/pi...-week-jessamy/

I love Wyatt! I'm sure you'll both eventually agree on the perfect name for your little girl

Lauren: My initial impression of Lauren is slightly dated, and I would assume an 80s/90s baby upon hearing it. I'm an early 90s baby myself and I could probably name 10 Laurens my age that I grew up with/know now on the spot. I think it is a lovely name that would still work in 2013, but she would definitely know more of her friends' moms named Lauren than her own friends themselves. Not always a bad thing, though It doesn't really work as a sibset with Wyatt to me, however; Wyatt has much more of a modern feel.

Caralyn: When I first read this one, I didn't even think of it as the same name as the more dated Carolyn spelling, so Caralyn definitely updates it and gives the name a fresher feel. I think it is very pretty and would personally choose it over Lauren. Wyatt and Caralyn are both nice, soft-sounding names and Caralyn Joy is lovely. I agree with the above post, though, that it could very easily get lost in the pile of other trendy -lyn names right now and lose its charm a little.

A few other ideas I thought of for you:
    Stella (rising on the popularity charts, so that might appeal to your DH, but also vintage-y for you)
    Carys (similar to Caralyn, but a little more distinguished)
    Evelyn (same explanation as Stella, but also the -lyn ending you both seem to like; Evelyn Joy is beauuuutiful)
    Fiona
    Vivienne
    Julia
    Lucy

Best of luck!!