Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'm not great with matching first names and middles, but I did hang out with a lot of people from former Yugoslavia in high school. You've already mentioned some of their names, but I do remember some more.
    Girls names: Zlata, Biljana, Mirjana, Mirna, Dajana (pronounced Diana), Dragana, Jasmina, Jelena, Gordana, Irina/Irena
    Guys names: Damir (seemed to be quite popular), Mirza, Goran, Emir (not sure how useable that is as it makes me think of the UAE and Emirates Airline)
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

OOoh, I like Mirna more than Mira I think! I can't believe DH didn't mention Goran before...that was actually supposed to be his first name but they changed it and he's always liked it (he's not good at this name thing, lol!). All the rest are no's according to him...either bad person associations or thing associations. I asked about Jelena and he went on a rampage about how it means "deer" and that's a horrible name for a girl. OK, moving on...................................

Aw, deer are pretty and graceful. It's not like it means warthog. lol.

Goran is a really nice name, plus it's close enough to Gordon that it doesn't sound really out there and isn't hard to pronounce.

I like Jelena a lot (then again, I also like Helena), but there would probably be pronunciation issues. My friend always got Jell-EE-na. The same is true for Lejla though. My close friend by that name often had to correct people calling her Ledge-la. And of course, once they got it right, they had to respond, "Got me on my knees, Layla," but who knows if this generation of kids will be familiar with Eric Clapton!
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

If you want truly pan-Yugoslavian names, you'll need to stay away from explicitly Muslim names (Bosnian) and explicitly Catholic names (Croatia) and explicitly Orthodox names (Serbia). Just nice secular options. I think that means you should stick to the old original Slavic names-- but obviously you want something pretty and accessible in an English-speaking context.

Emina-- his grandmother-- is a Muslim name, which makes sense as she was Bosnian. Alma is given in Yugoslavia because of the Battle of Alma-- which the Slavs lost and resulted in a British & French victory! Lejla is also Muslim, and Zlata is not accessible enough.

Zlatan isn't accessible either. Faris is Muslim; Kenen and Alen are OK but might be seen as simple mispellings of Keenan and Alan.

Girls

Mira (great choice-- means 'peace')
    Bisera (neutral name, meaning 'pearl')
    Dunja ("quince")
    Iskra ("spark")
    Jasna ("Clear, sharp")
    Maja (Maia, religion-neutral)
    Mila (gracious)
    Nada ("hope")
    Nevena ("marigold")
    Sanja ("dream")
    Tajana ("to keep secret")
    Vera
    Zora ("dawn")

Boys

Boro (wolf)
    Branimir (great protector, great peace)
    Damir ("to give peace")
    Darko (gift)
    Davor ("oh joy!")
    Drago (precious)
    Emil (old Roman name from which we get Emily)
    Javor ("maple tree")
    Milos (gracious)
    Miran ('peaceful')
    Rade ("care")
    Vedran ("clear, cheerful")
    Viktor
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq