Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ralph

I love the British pronunciation but I know no one in my area would ever say it like that. I really want to be ready for Ralph (I loved Ralph Bighead from Rocko's Modern Life) --- but all I get is "you mean like Ralph Wiggum?" when I ask about it. Judging how long the Simpsons has been on the air, I don't think that association will go away soon (at least in my circle). Also, my friends commonly used the word, ralph, as a synonym for vomiting. Sigh.

BUT -- if you don't have those associations, I would love to meet a little Ralph.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico, Gianfranco, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa, Valerio
    Katarina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Romana, Alba, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirellina, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Cordelia, Leona/Leonie

I like Ralph pronounced both ways (Rafe and Rowlf), but I do think it's a tough name in the US because of the vomit association (kind of like it's hard to use Jemima here too). If you wanted it to be pronounced Rafe, I would spell it like that. You could also use Randolph and make Rand or Ralph a nn.

The "rafe" pronunciation makes absolutely no sense to me. I don't care how "upper class British" it apparently is, why would anybody want to give their child a name that is one letter away from being one of the worst crimes imaginable? Yes, I"m aware it's still spelled as Ralph, but I can easily see it being misheard.

That aside, the more basic pronunciation (as in Ralph Wiggum, the Honeymooners, etc.) is actually a more underrated name to me. It does sound kind of old-fashioned, but not in a bad way. It's a name I would like seeing on other people's children.