Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question I Have To Change The Name....

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I don't like to change names once I've got a good chunk of a novel written, but I think I need to in the case.

My book is set in the near future and takes place in north america with a apocalypse theme.

I have a 60ish year old man, Raymond (nn. Ray) Valentine. He has a daughter named, Christina Valentine. She gave birth to a son when she was 17. The father is not in the picture, but she later got married and the man she married adopted her son. I did name her son Shepherd McNamara, but now it's conflicting with Shep's best friend, Seth Wylie, who plays a big part of the story and I don't want to change that name.

As much as I love Shep, I need a different name for him. Shep is a jock, he's into sports and all, but he's a nice guy. He has lots of friends, he's popular. He's fair-haired with blue eyes.

The last name is McNamara. And the name needs to go well with Raymond, Christina, and Seth.

Other ideas already suggested to me, Caleb, Coby, Curtis, Kyle, Timothy, Jordan, Dustin.
    Do any of these work? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks so much.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

I agree, Shep seems off-kilter. Of your suggestions, Jordan seems closest to the mark.

If he is a hero, then you want his name to domain strong sounds, like Ks and Gs. It will contrast well with the softer supporting guy Seth. You did this unconsciously with McNamara.

Luke
    Kirk
    Gage
    Paxton
    Jackson
    Alec
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Thanks Blade. Seth and "Shep' are good guys. They have been friends since they were kids. Seth has major problems...he's the opposite of "Shep". He suffers from social anxiety disorder and at times severe angoraphoia. The world is falling apart and Ray and "Shep" are trying to get him out of his apartment.

I love the name Luke and I wanted to use it, but it was used in the movie The Skulls.
    I can't use Kirk because it is the surname of one of the main female characters.
    I like Gage, but I just don't feel it for this character.
    I just don't like Paxton.
    Love Jackson, but it's too common.
    Alec......ummm. I don't know about this one either.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Jordan and Caleb stood out to me.

I've been in this same situation. I changed my main character's name three times before finally arriving at my current (and final!) choice. It isn't uncommon. Good luck!
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine