Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Beowulf?

I'm inclined to agree with the majority. There are unusual, nearly-unheard of names, and then there are names that are just trying too hard to stand out. It's definitely different, but not in a good way.

I also think it would be a bit odd to have a daughter with such a common name and a son named Beowulf. She might wonder why she didn't get such an uncommon name, too. Growing up, my brother and I each had middle-of-the-road names (recognizable but not common) and I always wondered why he got a cool, spunky nn and I didn't. Not that you're confined to the top 10 for a boy, but it's something to keep in mind.
    Current loves:
    Opal | Saffron
    Winslow | Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by saracita00 View Post
    Looking at the name for its own qualities, it's really not any more "out there" than anything else. It has a more pleasant sound than something like Wolfgang and isn't any more lofty than Thor. On the other hand, I am afraid I have to admit that my honest first thought was, "Oh, they think a lot of themselves, don't they" with a bit of a giggle. I don't know whether to put it in the "trying too hard to be tough and cool" category with Optimus, or "trying to be so profound it's trite" with Atticus, or just "parents thought it was super cool and I'm not sure they hit the mark" with Orpheus.

That said, full disclosure here is that I have a son named Peregrine with the nickname Pip. A lot of people think Peregrine is a pompous and pretentious name, and some think calling him Pippin for short is way too connected with Lord of the Rings (even though it has been a traditional nickname since the Middle Ages). So your "take away" summary here can be either, "Beowulf is even too out there for someone with a kid named Peregrine," or you can just figure Beowulf isn't any worse than Peregrine and it's just a matter of taste. I'm almost inclined to take the latter opinion, even on myself. I was surprised at my first initial thought, because I'm generally fairly open-minded about names. I think maybe Beowulf could grow on me. Except not.
    I agree, but I love Beowulf
    Last edited by theclocktowerofjoy; July 5th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country