Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beowulf?

I love it! Wish I'd thought of it.

Oh no, not Beowulf....that's just super wacky. I can see endless teasing potential there...
    XOXO Whillemina
    Crazy and Happy Name-Obsessed Teen
    Faves
    Kirrily, Rosalind, Tamsin, Josephine

Looking at the name for its own qualities, it's really not any more "out there" than anything else. It has a more pleasant sound than something like Wolfgang and isn't any more lofty than Thor. On the other hand, I am afraid I have to admit that my honest first thought was, "Oh, they think a lot of themselves, don't they" with a bit of a giggle. I don't know whether to put it in the "trying too hard to be tough and cool" category with Optimus, or "trying to be so profound it's trite" with Atticus, or just "parents thought it was super cool and I'm not sure they hit the mark" with Orpheus.

That said, full disclosure here is that I have a son named Peregrine with the nickname Pip. A lot of people think Peregrine is a pompous and pretentious name, and some think calling him Pippin for short is way too connected with Lord of the Rings (even though it has been a traditional nickname since the Middle Ages). So your "take away" summary here can be either, "Beowulf is even too out there for someone with a kid named Peregrine," or you can just figure Beowulf isn't any worse than Peregrine and it's just a matter of taste. I'm almost inclined to take the latter opinion, even on myself. I was surprised at my first initial thought, because I'm generally fairly open-minded about names. I think maybe Beowulf could grow on me. Except not.

Looking at the name for its own qualities, it's really not any more "out there" than anything else. It has a more pleasant sound than something like Wolfgang and isn't any more lofty than Thor. On the other hand, I am afraid I have to admit that my honest first thought was, "Oh, they think a lot of themselves, don't they" with a bit of a giggle. I don't know whether to put it in the "trying too hard to be tough and cool" category with Optimus, or "trying to be so profound it's trite" with Atticus, or just "parents thought it was super cool and I'm not sure they hit the mark" with Orpheus.

That said, full disclosure here is that I have a son named Peregrine with the nickname Pip. A lot of people think Peregrine is a pompous and pretentious name, and some think calling him Pippin for short is way too connected with Lord of the Rings (even though it has been a traditional nickname since the Middle Ages). So your "take away" summary here can be either, "Beowulf is even too out there for someone with a kid named Peregrine," or you can just figure Beowulf isn't any worse than Peregrine and it's just a matter of taste. I'm almost inclined to take the latter opinion, even on myself. I was surprised at my first initial thought, because I'm generally fairly open-minded about names. I think maybe Beowulf could grow on me. Except not.

It's too much in my opinion. I like unique names, but you have to draw the line somewhere imo...
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables